Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14blt disc brake questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Feb 24, 2007.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

I have some questions about doing the disc brake conv. on my 14blt ff. First just looking for which brand you guys like the best. I was either going to get it from ORD or DIY4x. The only diff I see is the DIY4x kit is cheaper. But I did just order my first item from ORD and they were great on the phone and my item came just when they said it would. :thumb: I am open to any companies though. Also this will be the most tech. thing I have done so far. My 14blt ff has 4.56 and a detroit. From reading various things online I know I have to pull the axles out put will I have to mess with any bearings or seals? Any tips or special tools I will need would be great. THANKS!!

2. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I say pony up the $25 and become a member. This subject has been cover so many times.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

4. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Well I am sorry for the dumb question but I am still kinda new and I looked back through several pages and could not find a link that answered my question. So if there is anybody that would like to spread some knowledge please do.

Thanks for the blackwidow performance link.

5. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Took me an afternoon to do the swap. I would consider it one of the most straightforward things I've ever worked on. All I purchased were the brackets/hardware. The rotors/calipers I got at the JY and had the rotors cut for $10 at Napa. You don't need new lines unless you are concerned with heavy flex. Do yourself a favor and have the hubs pressed onto the rotor with a press. I made the mistake of pulling them in with lugnuts and I messed up a bunch of studs; not to mention it took forever! It is helpful to have one of those Haynes manuals because they have to correct torque figures for tightening the wheel bearings. You will need the correct wheel bearing socket which you can get at any parts store.

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

took me just 2hrs... i have the az-kickin.com kit (they arent around anymore) and I love the kit....

I removed my studs with a big bolt and BFH!!! worked great... banged them out... put everything together as needed... and banged the lugs back in... was easy.....

shame az-kickin doesnt make their kit anymore... cus for $80 for the brackets and $50 for the hardware kit.. hardware kit was 2 brake lines (chevette lines around me were $30 each so there is more than $50), connectors, bolts and I liked the way the brake adapter bolted to everything...
    I went with d44 calipers but went with eldorados later.....

[​IMG]