Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14blt ff with gov-loc

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Jan 16, 2003.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Question for you guys: I've got a 14blt ff with a gov-loc is there any way to upgrade to a detroit or one of those selectable lockers (once they make em) or am I screwed with this axle???? Thanks for the help!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yup, you can put a detroit in......after you buy and install an open carrier. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well if ARB decides to make one for the 14bolt FF then you will be in luck because they have to make it a carrier.

4. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

whats wrong with the 14bolt gov-loc? i have been running them for years with no problems. i recently went to a detroit and its not as well mannered on the road as the gov-loc. the only reason i went to the detroit was because i bought a set of m1008 axles .

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I've got the Gov-Lok in my 14B, and I have had nothing but good luck with it. Works great off-road, unnoticeable on (obviously). Nothing like Gov-Lok in the 10 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

I didn't mean that there was anything wrong with a gov-loc, just wondering if I'd have any options in the future if I wanted to upgrade to a detroit. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

I would have to put in a negative comment re: govlocks. My wheeling partner has run one in his 14BFF under a Willy's wagon and nothing but trouble. More times than not it will not engage even with one tire obviously spinning more than 2revs faster than the other. We have even seen it DISengage while under power.

I say hit a junk yard and get an open carrier then call Randy's Ring and Pinion and get a detroit before the thing breaks or leaves you stranded in some other way.

andy

8. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Can a open carrier be swapped into a 14blt which origanally had a gov-loc unit in it??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

yes it can. just get the carrier and the bearing races and you are good to go. Drop the old one out put your ring gear on the new one and pop it back in.

andy

10. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Andy, Thanks for the reply! Good to know that they are interchangeable.