Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14blt plug weld

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by mtnman, Oct 14, 2006.

1. mtnman

mtnman Scrap metal fabricator Premium Member

Hey Stephen, I want to re-weld the plug welds on the other side of my 14blt to make it almost as good as the side you guys fixed. How do you guys cut out the original weld and how big a hole saw do you use? thanks again for the help and for sure next year I'm buyin' the ORD crew a round!:bow:

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The only time I have had to remove them they were litterly falling out.
    I drilled a 1" hole with a hole saw for 1 new location but I think several 3/4" holes in addition to the existing ones should be good.
    If you want to remove the existing plug welds I would use a torch and be real careful as you melt out the weld.
    To drill new plug weld holes.
    Just take a regular hole saw with the pilot bit in it just set real short. Drill untill the entire holesaw is cutting into the cast but the pilot is not into the tube yet. Then remove the pilot bit and run the hole saw slowly in the groove it started, this should keep it lined up and not let it walk around on you. The chunk of cast should fall out and let you get a nice new plugweld in.

3. mtnman

mtnman Scrap metal fabricator Premium Member

Thanks man, I really appreciate your help! Looking forward to wheelin' with all the ORD crowd again, you guys are great!!!:bow: