Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14blt SF Compared to a 14blt FF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Mar 29, 2002.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Just have some questions about the 2 axles. How much less does the SF weigh? Would you get an inch better ground clearance with the SF, & can it be shaved for more? I've read about disc brake conversions for the FF can one be done in a similar fassion for the SF?? Thanks for the help!!!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

SF probably weighs 1/2 what the ff does. I am not sure about ground clearance. I have 35" BFGs and 9.25" or so under my rear pumpkin if I remember correctly. I have the SF.

There is no disc kit that I know of for an 8 lug SF, but I believe there is for a 6 lug one.

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

this is muddysub, i have a SF, for clearance they are about 1" better than a FF, i was gonna shave it but i would only gain like .5" so it wasn't worth it to me. i know they weigh A LOT less. i have 36" TSLs and i have like 11" under it i think.

4. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What size tire do you plan to run, what type of terrain, and what type of driver are you? Do you plan on alot of towing, how much horsepower do you have or plan to have?

I just aquired a 14bff. I thought about switching to the SF, but I figured might as well do it right the first time. Plus the FF is cheaper to buy, cheaper to lock, easy to do the disc conversion you want to do, and it is stronger. It would be nice to keep the 6 lug wheels, but I plan on swapping a D60 later down the line so 8 is the only real choose to make. I have read recently in a post that if you shave a 14FF it can almost have the same clearence as a 12 bolt. I am going to loose some clearence with the 14bff, but I would rather loose clearence, and be able to know I can stomp the gas as hard as I want and I still won't break a FF if I am hung up. This is my $.02. Hope it helps you some.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The FF 14 bolt weighs in at 520 lbs with drums. Lose the drums and go disc and it will be about 80 lbs lighter.

For comparison the 12 bolt rear weighs about 320 lbs complete. The 14 bolt SF is not 'half the weight of the FF...at most it would be about 100 lbs lighter and much of that can be made up by going to disc brakes.

As for ground clearance...how tall are your 35's Tim? I have bald 36" TSL's on my Jimmy right now that measure at 34.5" on the truck and I have 9.25" under my unshaved 14 bolt FF. Either your 35's are very undersized or the alleged 1" difference in clearance is being exaggerated by someone.

Rene

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was just guessing...I measured my clearance a long time ago and I think that's what I had. I'll go measure it and I'll be back.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Okay I'm back. 10.5" under my 14 bolt SF. My 35s are about 34.25" tall.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That sounds more like it...I can get to 10" under my diff by shaving it some. The strength gained by using the FF over the SF is worth the 1/2" of lost clearance in my opinion...

Thanks for the measurement Tim.

Rene

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The only reason I have a SF is because I got this pair of axles for free. When I get a FF cheap, I'll have one.

Usually I can find them for $50-100.

I too will shave my 14 bolt just so it slides over the mud better. The 14 bolt FF has a real thick lip at the bottom.

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If you are gonna shave it either make a ring or buy one.
    Even with the lip on mine I still beat the crap out of the bottom of the cover.
    If I had shaved it like I was going too I would have peeled that sucker off for sure.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mud doesn't peel anything.

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Right... wanna bet?

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, I'll take your word for it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I can find some scrap steel and make something I guess.