Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bolt brake redo

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85-m1028, Oct 10, 2006.

1. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

I need to redo the brakes on my rear FF 14bolt, I came across this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-14-BOLT-10-5-DRUMS-AND-BACKING-PLATES_W0QQitemZ120040976558QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33565QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and thought this might simplify the process? anything I should look out for this will be my first time with a FF, I know that the hubs will need to be pressed onto the new drums.

do the backing plates and spindles have some sort of seal trick "Iv'e read these are prone to leaking?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is what I did but if I had to do it all over again I would just go disc. After you add in the cost of shipping you will be close to going rear disc with parking brakes. Take the money you would spend on this and shipping and go disc. There are several posts on here of how to make levers from 14MM wrenches and also several vendors sell numerous caliper mounts for the 14FF. Plus on top of all that disc offer superior stopping power and you no longer need to pull the axle shafts and hubs each time to change brakes.

Ira

3. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dont waist the time. get the rough stuff caliper hangers for 50$ (45$ if you are a member. and then junk yard a pair of calipers and rotors. with new pads and a pair of brake lines you are looking at around 200$, and the conversion is easy. DISK BRAKES Baby.

4. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

same message at the same time. MMMMMMMMMMM JINX.

5. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

Emergency brakes are important to me and need to work well for my parking pawl likes to pop out> Currently my passenger side e-brake cable is collapsed and I have no e-brake at all!!

I have heard that the El dorado calipers have "sucky clamping force"???

I would need newer style hubs in order not to remove the shafts to pull the rotors? I don't think the newer style hubs work with the older ff 14bolt????:confused:

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

You still have to pull the hubs to remove the rotors but you do not have to remove the hubs to change the pads. Not everyone turns rotors everytime they change pads. Plus you drop about 150 lbs of weight by switching to disc. I do not yet have experience with the eldo calipers but from my research all of the "sucky clamping force" goes it is due to improperly adjusted brakes. When using eldo calipers the ebrake must be used regularly to keep the pads adjusted to the point where the throw of the lever provides adequate force on the pads. I have heard more working than not working.

Ira

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have the eldo calipers and i have them adjusted so that it will hold the blazer with the engine off or running but if i blurp the throttle it will move slightly but that is inherent to all disc e-brake set-ups. I however do not use my e-brake hardly ever and even when i do it still holds without problem even though i don't cycle it like i should.

8. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

Is there a write up on this? The more I think about it the variables pop up. What about the proportioning valves, I would feel better about using new remaned calipers and new rotors are there part #'s for these?

9. 4X4HIGH

I used the same master cylinder and the same proportioning valve and my rig stops on a dime with eleven cents change. :thumb:

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

pop off style stuff wont work on non pop off style axles. spindles diffrent. and the disk kits for pop off style still add rotor on back side.

11. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

I guess I was thinking of the SF 14bolt? seems everyone here thinks disk is the way to go. After doing a quick search there are a lot of articles on how to do this but eveyone seems to list different part #'s. Where can I find the Rough Stuff caliper hangers??

12. 4X4HIGH

13. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

I'm assuming you need the rear Eldo calipers, it looks like they have the E-brake. I found fully loaded bendix rear calipers from partsamerica.com for 97.99 ea. with a 3.00 hore, I mean core!!! and free shipping. Is that 50.00 for a set or per on the ruff stuff brackets??

What kind of brake lines do I need?

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

look in the post I made about disc brakes those are the calipers you need. The brackets from ruffstuff are $50 a set. You can use the $15 calipers for a 10 bolt on your disc setup if you do not need an ebrake.

Ira