Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bolt Detroit locker question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chev4life, Jun 16, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I have had my detroit locked 14bolt in my 87 for about 2 months now and have loved it. But recently I have been noticing when going from rolling no throttle or off the line I get a pretty good pull to the left, bad enough to switch lanes but not terrible. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I hadent noticed before. Could it be tire inflation? It doesnt do it if I am moving with throttle and then step on it. Any help would be great. Oh...I am not getting any funny sounds or anything. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

sounds like your detroit is toast. pull it out, put it in a box, and send it my way... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Could be tire inflation or worn steering components. This is the infamous detroit induced lane change. Mine used to do it really bad with my old Swampers, but hardley notice it anymore with new tires. It is sortof a torque steer effect when the locker locks and unlocks.

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a similar problem when my rear spring bushings started to wear-out..

How do they look??

I'd check torque on the spring bolts...too..

5. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

My spring bushings are all good, good idea on checking the torques. I will check them and the tire pressures out tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the info guys.

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I had a similar issue with my truck. On deceleration it would sometimes pull to one side. I just wrote it off as "detroit manners".
    Later I found that the leaf spring center pins were broke and the axle had shifted a little. This caused the wheelbase to be effectively different from the driver side to the passenger side. The center pins broke because the U-bolts had somehow worked their way loose.
    I fixed the pins and put the u-bolts back on and haven't experienced the wacky lane changes anymore.

I suggest crawling underneath your rig and closely examining everything. You might notice something that might not even seem related to the detroit that could be your problem. I didn't notice mine cause everything was covered in mud.

Also, don't ship that thing to K5Chris. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif