Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BOLT FF hub question :Please Read:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Aug 6, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

OK well I finnally got my hubs small enough to clear the wheels(second trip to the machine shop) Well I go to put them back on everythings goen great, I put the first spindle nut(im not sure thats the right name) on try to make it to tight just so i can spin it and feel its to tight and try to get it all JUST right well its loose so I try to tighten it some more it wont GO so I put the breaker bar on it NOTHING so I tap it with the impact gun and nothen me and confedneck play with this thing for hours pulled the bearings out look at every thing and the only thing we can think is MABE there sposta be a spacer/ washer between the spindle nut and outer bearing at the parts store we couldent fine any thing but If anyone knows if there is or what were doing wrong it would REALLY help me and if there is such part where I could get it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

im thinking there's maybe a spacer or washer between the first spindle nut and the outer bearing..there's between 1/8 and 1/4 inch of play in and out and maybe 1/8 inch up and down play as well..seems like a washer or spacer would correct this...HELP

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

This might be a dumb question / suggestion did you put the big snap-ring behind the large bearing? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif if thats not installed I would think that it would cause what you are descibing. Thats my only idea...good luck

4. Confedneck

snap ring behind the large bearing? as in between the large bearing and the seal? what would that snap ring rest in theres no groove for it to set into..anyone got a picture?

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

CHEVY 4WD, I do not know what you had machined, this should be a bolt on item but on the spacers and nuts maybe I can help. After you have put the hub and rotor on the spindle there should be a washer with a keyway tab in the center. Place this washer on first, then a nut, then a washer with the outer tabs that you bend around the second nut to lock it in place. Two washers and two nuts.

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Maybe I had a brain fart /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif ....is there a large snap-ring next to the large race/bearing?

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

There is a big washer that goes on first before the inner spindle nut. This washer has a small tang on the inner diameter of it which slides into the slot on the spindle. It keeps it from spinning. You should have those washers installed and then do the inner nut, tang washer, outer nut, all in that order. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Confedneck

he had the hubs machined so that his old 6 lug wheels would fit over the FF hubs..we dont have the first washer in there...im betting thats it...

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

ALRIGHT!!! thanks guys this is what make CK5 so great ill try to get a few of these tomarrow yea I had to machine the OD of the hubs to just under 4 1/4 so I could run 6lug

10. Confedneck

so after my running around today to get the washers, we put them in and one hub still has excessive movement..the other hub is perfect on either spindle...we also replaced the inner bearing and race in the hub with the problem today...when the hub moves, the outer bearing looks like its staying right up against that thrust washer and locknut while the hub moves..im thinking outerbearing and race possibly? anybody HELP /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif