Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14BOLT FF outter race

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Sep 12, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I made a post a wile back somewhat to do with this... but now my problem is back, my outter race keeps sliding in so I pounded it out and it worked for a few days then the hub will loosen up agin. Im gonna change the outter race tonight but I dont think its gonna help any. Does anyone know if I have to take the inner bearing race and seal out? and I pound the outer race inward to change it right? Also some one told me I have 2 peice hubs this insent ture is it?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If the race is moving in the hub, you need a new hub. That one is apparentely trashed.

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yup, sounds like a spun race/hub. If you can move the race around or spin it while its 'pressed' in...the hub is worn and needs to be replaced as said above.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

the race doesnt spin by hand..it just walks inwards (to the inside of the truck) when you drive, i suggested to go to a bearing shop with the race and get some spacers or shims that fit between the outer race and the flange that it rests against, to keep it from sliding in...whaddya think?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

14 bolt hubs have a big, beefy locking ring that clips inside the housing to hold one of the bearing races in place. Do you have that installed? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Without it, the bearing race will move around.

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

almost like a snapring right? i knew he was missing it, but he insisted i was wrong, if anyone has a picture of it, post up, because i know exactly where to get it...

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep! That MUST be installed or the race will never stay in place! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, the proper way to install the bearings is as follows.

You need to install the outer most bearing and race first.

(1) Drop the bearing into the hub with the taper of the bearing facing the frame side of the truck.

(2) Next install the race so that the taper surface of it is facing out toward the wheel.

(3) Now install the large snap ring in the groove.

This is where some people get all screwed up.

(4) You must now drive the bearing and race inward against the snap ring.

Now that you have the outer bearing installed you may start on the inner but I am not going to go into detail about how to do that one since your problem is from your outer bearing not being installed properly.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

thanks guys the weird part is 1 of my hubs dosent have any problems and neither have the snap ring... anyone have an idea where I can find those on a saterday? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks guys the weird part is 1 of my hubs dosent have any problems and neither have the snap ring... anyone have an idea where I can find those on a saterday? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At a salvage yard. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif