Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bolt ff question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Sep 18, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Ok so i ripped the 14 bolt from under a 79 2wd chev this morning... by myself... OMG what a heavy hunk of steel... i had to get the tractor out to pull the thing from under the truck...
    How can I tell w/o opening the housing if it's a open or a lsd design... when I turn the driveshaft both drums spin... but it I spin the drums the other one turns the opposite way???
    Any one???

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

anyone?

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Re: my new 14 bolt FF

yes it is one heavy bitch, no doubt..

with the axle in question, ive found that there really is no accurate way of telling if its an open or posi.. I have a 14bolt w/ factory posi (that works) and it acts just like an open if I jack up both wheels.. I KNOW its posi, Ive had the cover off, layed 2 black stripes on pavement, and it was an option in the glovebox..

might as well pull the cover (probably a good time to change the fluid anyway) and check, or just wait until its in the inteded vehicle.. basically for that era of axle, if you can see the spider gears in the carrier, its an open unit.. if not then it might be posi.. I have some pics of what the stock posi carrier looks like if anyone wants em ill put em on some webspace.. Im not sure what the deal is on factory lockers.. Ive never actually seen a factory locker but Ive heard of them.. then again my factory posi was called a "locking differential".. maybe people are even more confused than I am :)

good luck im sure there will be some more ideas posted..

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Since it is out just roll it till the cover is on top then take it off and see what is inside.
    If it has 4 spider shafts then it is an open carrier.
    Also you will be able to get the ratio while the cover is off and inspect the gears and such.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: my new 14 bolt FF

Eaton has always claimed the gov-lock is a locker and not a limited slip. They say when it engages it is locked...thats why GM calls it a locking differential.
    Its junk no matter what Eaton and GM call it though.

BTW as others have already said pull the cover...its not hard.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

go ahead and pop the cover. That's the ONLY way you'll be real sure. Spin it over till the covers on top and pull it. You can't see the spider gears on a 14FF, so just count the cross shafts. 4=open....3=gov-loc.

Kyle
    89K5