Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bolt ff wheels ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigMac, Jul 15, 2002.

1. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I tore into my rear axle this weekend because the noises couldn't be ignored any longer. It turns out my rear posi has had it... The clutch pack is gone and the axles have tons of movement thats hammering the center pin in the diff.

I considered overhauling my stock 12 bolt till I found out what every thing would cost. Since it's going to cost several hundred dollars to overhaul my existing axle, I decided to go with a 14 bolt ff.

My plan is to pick one up from AAA Trucks in Hayward. I want to pick it up with disk breaks already on it. What years did they start using disks on those?

I will be buying some new wheels to go on this axle. As I understand it I can run 16's or 16.5's. Besides .5 inches whats the diff? I once overheard a conversation about the bead construction differences in the wheels. Is there anything to that?

This things going in my 72 K10. Its my daily driver so beadlocks are not really an option...

Any help will be apreciated.. I hate goin in with my blinders on and my wallet open...

2. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I was talkin to my buddy today and he's tellin me that the 16.5's wont hold a bead aired down without beadlocks. Do 16.5's really loose their bead that easily?
    I'm not up for beadlocks on a street driven vehicle. Will 16's clear the brakes?

What size wheel are you guys with 14's runnin?

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i asked the same question.on the technical link page on the homepage there is an explanation by steven hunt of the tires,wheels and how they will interact with the 3/4 ton conversion.also pros and cons of the different wheels

4. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

This is great news!

Too bad Im haveing a computer illetracy problem ... and cant find the dang article.. I read the one about the spindle swap gear install etc cant find the dang tires.....

Maybe after some sleep it'll jump out and bite me..

thanks again I'll keep lookin for it.

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

6. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

That may be the very one!

I hadn't read that one. That is basicly what I had overheard. When my buddy was getting his tire lesson.. I was laying out my bolt holes in my new winch bumper... I wasn't paying them alot of attention...

Funny how much more attention your willing to put into something when its about to cost a couple of grand.

Thanks a lot... the article was exactly the info I needed.

7. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    The 16.5" wheels don't have a safety bead to run preasures under 20# or so,the 16" wheels will clear the big front brake calipers but a limited # or tires are available(+35" size).The 15" wheels will need to have the calipers grund a little to fit but has alot of tires available.Pros and cons for all.I went with the 15" and have currently 16.5"'s and can not air 'em down e'nuff.I can't wait to install the 15" wheels and 37" MT/R's.Keep the 3/4 ton stuff.

8. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Thanks all.. Seems I'll be going with the 16's.

I purchased the axle yesturday.... I get it in a couple days..

Now whos got the 14 bolt disc brake mounts?????

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

check the for sale forum.there is a guy that custum makes the kit for disk conversion /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

will do

thanks

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Send DERBINATOR a pm. His brackets are awesome and they are only $100.00 delivered to your door. If you want to see what they look like then PM me because I live in Fremont also and have his brackets on my rig.

12. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Cool;
    I just made a deal with another board member for a 14 ff too. I'll be needing those hangers as soon as I can get down to hand him some cash..

13. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

You can still get 15 x 8's in an eight lug. They are available is only in chrome and white spoke so the variety is limited. To get them to fit the front, you'll need to grind down the calipers a little but this doesn't affect anything. If you get a Corp 14 out of a 70's 2 wheel drive, you'll have the small drum version and the wheels will fit perfectly. Doing it this way you don't have to worry about losing a bead any more than you do now...

14. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

if I go with the 15's I wont have to change to new tires so soon either...since this project is only getting more and more expensive and I haven't done anyhitng yet /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

This project is startin to bum me out...

15. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

Some places that sell wheels will claim that they don't exist but they do. I can't honestly remember which company makes them...it could be Allied Wheel though. I think the white ones run about $45 per and the Chrome are $75 per.

Oh yeah, I know I didn't already mention it but they do make a conversion u-joint that converts a 12 bolt driveshaft to a corp 14 on the diff side. It will get you by until you can get the funds, but I would HIGHLY recommend having your driveshaft rebuilt and going to the Corp 14 u-joint on both the upper and lower (which will require you changing out the yolk on the transfercase). You'll find out within the first year that the smaller u-joints just can't handle the mass of the Corp 14.

Don't let the swap get you down, it was the best thing I ever did to my blazer and I haven't broken a part since.

16. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I am still pushin ahead with this... it's just costing me ALOT more that I had convinced wyself it would.

I plan on upgradeing my drive shaft... I thought I was going to have to because the 14 is longer in the snout than the 12.

I tried to convince my wife that we needed to cancel our anneversery this year because I needed the cash for my truck.. It got me aproval for the DERBINATORS brackets..

too early to ramble geees

17. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I know this is getting slightly off topic, but if you decide to use the existing driveshaft to keep the initial costs down, I have the "conversion" u-joint that you'll need.

I was planning to re-use my existing shaft so I bought the adapter.....then in a moment of weakness, I called High Angle Driveline and charged a small fortune on my CC instead!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Anyway, just a thought. It sounds like the costs are starting to add up....and believe me I KNOW how that can happen!