Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bolt gearing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mike B., Dec 17, 2003.

1. Mike B.

Mike B. Registered Member

i was told the other day that the highest gears a FF14bolt are 5.13. but i cannot find any, i think i found one set on macromotive.com but thats it. i was hoping that yall could offer me with some more places that sells them, or if 4.88 is the highest they can really hold. Thanks!

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

5.13 is the lowest that they can go, however, I don't know where to find any. Randy's ring and pinion might have them.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

5:13's are the LOWEST gears I know of for a 14 bolt.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Lowest is 5.13:1 and they are not common. Call around, you'll find them at one or the other of the on-line gear houses (Drivetrain Direct, Randy's, etc.) Be careful with Randy's, he's gotten allot of bad press lately for substandard "Yukon" gears (whatever is cheapest this month apparently).

When you do find them, take note if they are “thick” or standard gears. Standard 5.13s are almost non-existant. They fit the 4.56 and lower carrier such as that found in CUCV axles (like mine). More common is the “thick” gear made for the 4.10 and down carrier which is also much more common.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Lowest is the term you mean. Highest is the term for "numerically" phrased. And yes, 5.13 is the lowest for the 14FF offered. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

West Coast Differentials has 5.13s

7. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

5.13 is also the ratio that GM put into the eaton axles only with the R05 dually rear conversion RPO, this axle existed 1972 back to 1947, it also came with cab roof marker lamps and in 68-up with lighted side reflectors, normally they were just reflectors in 68 without dually R05 RPO, and some 69's also

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I may have found a 14BFF with factory 5.14's in it at a local wrecking yard for hi pinion. I ran across it when I picked up my current 14BFF and I wasn't interested in it because it was too low for me. I hope I can find it again, for Hi pinion's sake.

10. Mike B.

Mike B. Registered Member

thanks a bunch for the help guys!

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I may have found a 14BFF with factory 5.14's in it at a local wrecking yard for hi pinion. I ran across it when I picked up my current 14BFF and I wasn't interested in it because it was too low for me. I hope I can find it again, for Hi pinion's sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be correct. The C3500HD trucks came with 5.13 available in them in the 88-98 bodystyle (15,000 lb GVWR).

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I found the 14FF I was looking for but when I poped the cover it was 4.10 open, just a good example how important it is to always check the gears. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

theres a lot of realy good wrecking yards here in sac.if one of you guys had some #s you could give us for the 14 bolt that would be a great help!!!(the one with 514s /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

GOOD luck mike!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I am sure you could call RanchoChevy and they can find what you want. I was there a few weeks ago to buy springs plates for my 14Bff. They will probably be on the expensive side though.

www.ranchochevy.com

[ QUOTE ]
    theres a lot of realy good wrecking yards here in sac.if one of you guys had some #s you could give us for the 14 bolt that would be a great help!!!(the one with 514s /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]