Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bolt Gov-bomb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DEMON44, Feb 12, 2006.

1. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

What are the symptoms of a gov-lock starting to pack it in? I was "blessed" with one in my crew cab, this is the only govlock I've ever had.

The other day the started a nasty series of bangs when turning, only when turning. Pulled the cover, dumped the oil, which was of a dark nasty thickness. No pieces came out, there was some good sludge on the magnet. New 80-90 into it, closed it up. test driveing for about 45min. Showed some improvement, but it scrubs the tire pretty hard in turns now. Like its lincoln locked. But then for 10min it drives like its open. Then back to scrubing and mild banging.

Any thoughts or help.
    Thanks.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

weird, either way, i would really start thinkin about replacing it,,,i know mine in my DD doesn't work right, but mine is a worn out clutch problem, it slips most of the time, basically acting like an open diff.

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Find a spot and start diggin, that gov-lock is no more.

Weird you brought it up, a buddy and I were just talking about how we never heard of a 14bff gov-bomb going. Sorry to hear it.

Best option would be to pull an open diff in a j/y and put it in. That way you could throw a detroit on it.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Weld it up solid :thumb:

5. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

This is a DD, I wasn't leaning to weld. But.....a cheap fix is a good fix :D

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] :weld:

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Man!

If you want to go to an open carrier, I may have access to a known good 14 bolt with 4.10 gears in it pretty quick. You can have it pretty cheap if I wind up getting it.

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Hey how ya doin? An open would be ideal for me for now. If you get in on that thing let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Sooner the better too, I don't know how much more life I can squeeze out of this thing before it's final bang :doah:

9. Russell

I'll encourage the guy I want to buy the truck off of, to try and accelerate the deal :)

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have been told that when the 14FF gov-bomb breaks the case is so strong that it does not break like a 10 or 12 bolt so it locks up and acts like a spool hence the reason you are scuffing tires in a corner.

Ira

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My first 10 bolt gov-lock used to stay locked up all the time, never broke anything. Then again, it was a 305 with 3.08's, and 31's.

12. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

I have a complete diff for you or an open carrier ... what ever want. Check your 4wheeler pm :)

13. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

That thing is toast. mine died the same way. it did crack the carrier, but you couldn't see the crack throught the oil coating. the brass gears inside blew up and got chewed up by the spiders inside. as larger peices got chewed the spiders pushed away from each other splitting the carrier all the way aroud :eek1: and some how in all of this the whole thing locked up and made like a spool. I could really notice around slow corners (parking lots) as i would try to push the front tires. get a Detroit and open carrier and you WILL love the improvement, the gov-bomb really didn't work all that well off road compared to a locker

14. Russell

Ditto on snoman87's PM -- I may be headed down your way this weekend, and can bring his 14 bolt with, if you help with paying for gas :)