Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bolt, open or gov locked?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outlaw612, Jul 28, 2001.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

How can I tell if this is an open or gov locked rearend. I took the cover off, but I cant tell which it is.

Second question...
    If it is a gov loc, is it worth swapping the 10bolt for it? Im not really wanting a locker because of the winters here so Im not planning on upgrading it. Any info will be really helpful.

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

HELL YES!!! I know that gov-locks get a bad rap...in 10 bolts, but the one i have in my 14 ff is BADAZZ!! Remember, that these rears are used in trucks that were built to haul a lot of weight. they are a lot stronger than the ten-million piece 10 bolt ones. I really like mine, and if i load it up at a stop light by power breaking and dont release the pressure, it will schirp the tires around the corner just like a detroit.
    on a second note, if you ever decide to get a detroit, you are going to need a new carrier. but, you may be able to use the fact that it has a gov-lock to "bargin" a bit with the price.

i know the difference is in the number of spider shafts (?), the gov-lock has 3 and the open/detriot has 4. i am sure someone knows for sure, but this is the reason you will need a new carrier if it has a detroit and you have a gov-lock

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I likemy govloc too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant afford a detroit and a new carrier right now so im happy that its got any kind of traction device in it!!!!My front is locked too so its not that big of a deal.An easy way to check to see if its open or not,jack up the assend and spin one tire,the other may spin the opposite way for a second but will not make a full rotation before the govloc tightens up and locks it to the wheel you are spinning causing them both to spin the same way!!!!!!!!!