Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bolt q and a

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nmud2deep, Jul 15, 2005.

1. nmud2deep

nmud2deep Registered Member

i was wondering what types of 14bolt rearends are out there...i know there is a full floating and a semi floating...but i was looking in a 4wheelparts book and they have gear sizes in 9.5, 10.5 and 11.5... is this a typo? and how do i find what i have and is the 11.5inch stronger?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

11.5 is new silverado body hd rears.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

The 10.5" ring gear is the FF almost everyone here is running, the sf is the 9.5".......

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

theres the semi floating 9.5" 14 bolt. it has an oval cover 9.5" ring gear, semi floating axles instead of hubs like full floating axles, the axle shaft its self carries the weight of the vehicle. 4.56:1 gears are the lowest available ring and pinions for this axle. and its quite expensive to build one up. also came in 6 and 8 lug versions.

theres the full floating 10.5" 14 bolt. diamond shaped cover, full floating design where the axleshaft does not carry the weight of the vehicle, the hub does... the axle shaft is also removable on this design without removing the wheel/tire. the lowest ring and pinion gear ratio available for this axle is 5.13:1. this axle also has considerabe aftermarket support. detroit lockers are the most popular choice for this axle, ARB has been working on a locker for this thing for the last 75years. ive heard its released but im not sure as ive been out of the loop on the GM 4x4 stuff for a while.

then theres the new 11.5" full floater 14 bolt. same shape cover as the 10.5", obviously larger differential. same hub/bearing design as the 10.5" with the removable axle shafts. not much for aftermarket support yet as its so new.