Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14Bolt Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Jul 26, 2001.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I've got some basic questions on the 14B.
    What trucks (year, size) had them?
    What's the difference between the 14FF and 14SF?
    How can you tell them apart??
    Is relocating the perches needed to fit a 75 K5?
    What about at dually 14B?
    I really appreciate the help. My Blazer is getting closer to rolling and I know I'll want to upgrade in the future. I just have no clue what I'm looking at regarding the 1 ton suspensions. Thanks again.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Ask wes (thatk30guy) hes the walkin dictionary about them and he can get you them too !

Paul a.k.a. Paulie a.k.a. Juan Valdez, take your pick ! [​IMG]

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, I know this has been covered a million times and it's best to do a search, but I'm not to busy right now at work soooooo here we go again:::::

I've got some basic questions on the 14B.
    What trucks (year, size) had them? 73' to 87' 3/4 ton and 1 ton P/Us 91' crewcabs
    What's the difference between the 14FF and 14SF? axles held in at the hub by 8 bolts; SF axle held in by C clips. FF are 8 lug, SF are 6 lug, FF have 10.5" ring gear; SF used 9.5" ring gear. SF found in some 3/4 ton subs and P/Us.

How can you tell them apart?? Easy, SF has drums like your 12bolts/10bolts and FF drum has a hub that is attatched to it and the axle shafts bolt to the hub. Take a look at Steves 14bolt drum...that's what the FF look like.
    Is relocating the perches needed to fit a 75 K5? if you get the 3/4 ton FF, then NO, if you get the 1 ton FF, then YES

What about at dually 14B? what about it? Do you want a Duallie K5?? If not, then avoid it

Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Years (that should bolt up to your '75) = '73-'87 3/4 ton pickup or Suburban (not all of these will have the FF, some will have the 14SF), the 1-ton versions, including duallys, have the spring and shock mounts in different locations and would have to be moved.
    Most if not all 3/4 tons from '73 to around the very early '80's should have the FF, since I think that the SF wasn't introduced until maybe '82 or '83 (again, not real positive). Most of the mid to late '80s trucks I have seen have the SF version.

Full-floaters vs. semi-floaters =

FF's are overall bigger and stronger, having a 10.5" ring gear and 1.5" shafts, and incorporating the full floating axle shaft design. Full floating means that the axle shaft does not have to support the weight of the truck, it just transmits torque to the wheel. The wheel/tire is bolted to a separate bearing hub assembly that supports the weight......the axle shaft can be removed from the axle without removing the wheel. For example, you could pull out both rear axle shafts, shift into 4wd and drive the truck home with the front tires delivering the power, the rears would be free-wheeling just like when you unlock the hubs on the front. It's pretty easy to distinguish as it will have a large hub protruding through the center of the wheel. This hub sticks out about 2-3", is about 4" in diameter, and has 8 bolts (which bolt the axle flange onto the hub).

On the other hand, the semi floating design means that the tire/wheel is bolted directly to the axle shaft, so the weight of the truck is resting on the shaft. On this, if you remove the axle shaft there is nothing for the tire and wheel to bolt onto. The 14SF is still a pretty stout axle with a 9.5" ring gear and 33-spline shafts. There is no hub protruding through the wheel on these.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

14 SF were started as standard axles in the 3/4 ton trucks in '81. The 14FF was still available too, but as an option. These years from '81 to '87 SF rears were available ONLY in 8 lug. The Suburban carried the SF up to '91.

The 6 lug SF were started in '88 on the newer body style trucks. They were standard equipment in 6 and 8 lug. No FF's were available anymore for anything EXCEPT for the 1 tons, which used either the 14FF or D70 as options.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

K30,
    ahhhh, that's right, I forgot they made the SF in 8lug....thanks for the correction :) Who really wants an 8 lug SF anyhow[​IMG]....thought the only reason to go to 14bolt SF, is to stay 6 lug...anyhow...........
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

You guys are the bomb!!! Thanks!
    Boss, what I meant about the duallie version, is if it's worth using. I imagine it would have to be converted to single wheel right? It's not just the rim that's different.
    Also, is the width the same as the 12B/10B? Or is it the same as the front diffs, thus not requiring spacers?
    Once again, thanks guys!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!