Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bolt rears, whats the difference?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmyjack, Sep 29, 2002.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I bought a 14 bolt ff, I think. I was under the impression the axle had splines on both ends. Mine doesn't, but it does have to be unbolted from the hub, is it a semi or full floater? I looked at the axle chart and mine is bigger of the two.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

You should have the full floater version of the 14 bolt. As for the axles being splined on both ends, I don't think the 14 bolt ever came like that. Axles like that come in trucks like the GM 3500HD with a 10 lug D80 rear.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It was just an assumption on my part. I've never seen one up close and personal. How do I get to the spiders and stuff? It's not like a 10 bolt carrier. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i think to get to the spiders you have to pull out the carrier and then pull off the ring gear and the carrier will then seperate in two pieces with the spider in the middle.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Chulisohombre is correct, the carrier is like a clam shell with the 2 halves held together by the ring gear bolts. To remove the carrier: you will see an adjuster with holes outboard of each carrier bearing, mark their current position with relation to the housing and remove the small locks. Now, you can use a small phillips screw driver in the holes to rotate the adjusters and loosen the carrier - now it's ready to remove. After reinstalling, screw the adjusters back to their original position and reinstall the locks.