Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bolt regearing questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Aug 11, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, I have the Govloc all welded up tight. I'm getting ready to mount on the ring gear. What do the the ring gear bolts need torqued down to? Next, I have a new pinion so I need to put pinion bearings and a cruch sleeve on. Can I buy the bearing and sleeve and have the local machine shop press them together or is that something you have to torque down with the yoke and nut?

Once that stuff is done is it easier to put the ring gear in first then the pinion or vice versa?

Thanks, yes I have the billavista manual from pirate and all that stuff just looking for a couple quick how to's for next week.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im not sure on the 14bff but on everything else ive worked on, the big pinion bearing must be pressed on. the crush washer is put on, the small bearing, yoke nut and turn it till you get the correct preload on the bearings. im sure it is the same for the 14bff but not 100% sure, never had one apart /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yes the inner pinion bearing needs to be pressed on, replace the races with the bearings. Also, we use a press to crush the crush sleeves. Just have the shop press the bearing on, crush the sleeve, set the preload and torque the nut, then you know its (most likely) done right! It doesnt matter if the ring gear or pinion goes in first.