Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bolt SF or FF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Apr 11, 2003.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifHow can you tell a 14bolt/8-lug SF from a FF. This is both front and rear on an 85' 3/4ton Chevy PU that I want to buy as a doner truck but haven't been able to drive out and look at yet. Also, is a 10bolt to a 14bolt/SF worth the work or sould I only consider upgrading to the 14 full floater? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How can you tell a 14bolt/8-lug SF from a FF.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG] semi floating
    [​IMG] full floating - also has big hubs coming out of the wheel centers.

[ QUOTE ]
    This is both front and rear on an 85' 3/4ton Chevy PU

[/ QUOTE ]
    Rear should be the FF and front should be the 8 lug, 3/4 ton 10 bolt. There is a chance for the SF, but probably not.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, is a 10bolt to a 14bolt/SF worth the work or sould I only consider upgrading to the 14 full floater?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, the 10 bolt rear to SF is a considerable strength upgrade. But, since you're talking 8 lug for both, you might as well buy the FF for more strength and the fact that you won't have to buy new rims like the people on here that are swapping from 6 lug 10 bolts to 8 lug.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Rear should be the FF and front should be the 8 lug, 3/4 ton 10 bolt. There is a chance for the SF, but probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. All 1982 and later K20s had 14 bolt SEMI FLOATING axles in the rear.