Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14boltff disc writeup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Mar 25, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

has anyone done a write-up on installing disc brakes on a 14bolt ff starting from scratch and a list of all the components and what they are off of?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I dont think so but all of the info is availabe here. I found everything that i needed when i did mine

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

same here. tons of info here.

pics of some of it form mine

www.offlimitsoffroad.com/gallery

look in the blazer folder. have some pics of them and how th e brake is hooked up

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

5. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Noone can seem to verify whether or not Dana 44 calipers and rotors are necessary. I have been told by several sources that 10 bolt 8 lug rotors/calipers will work just the same. I have also been unable to figure out if anything will need to be machined or if I need to have the hub pressed on to the rotor.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

D44 calipers and rotors are interchangeable with 10 bolt rotors and calipers. The only difference is the size of the banjo bolt on the calipers (10mm vs 7/16")

Harley

7. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Something i noticed is everybody keeps throwing out different year rotors and such, i just used the same rotor as the front of my truck,'89 Burb, i did find out too, that you need to make sure the brackets you get for the rear are cut for either the Chevy calipers, or Caddy calipers, as they are different with the mounting bolt spacing, and rotor width, i had both sets of calipers, and could only use the Chevy calipers. oh well though, works great, also make sure you do the "anti-squeel" stuff when you install the equipment, i didn't at first, and MAAAAN did they ever squeel.

There are probably better and less expensive brake hoses,,but i just used the fronts (listing) off the '89 Burb, there is alittle more metal line than i would like, but custom ones will be made at a later date.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

OK,

This is what I know for fact.

You will need a caliper and rotor off a 73-87 3/4 ton front axle. It can be a 44 or 10 bolt. You can also use a 76-78 caddy caliper.

Hoses from the same year front axles will also work for you, get them for the specific caliper you use. Banjo bolts are different as stated above.

You will also need some steel brake line.

You may need a proportioning valve. Some do some don't. This seems to depend largely on the vehicle weight and overall condition of the rest of the brake system.

The caliper brackets I make have 8 holes in them for mounting. The only reason for this is so the caddy calipers can be mounted with the ebrake cable up high and out of harms way. Down fall for mounting them this way is that the caliper must be bled off of the bracket.(bleeder not pointing up when mounted.)If your using a chevy caliper it makes no difference at all.

I also include full ring spacers with mine. Some will tell you it doesn't matter IT DOES! I use to make them with spacer tubes but rapidly switch for good reason. I also use hand selected hardware for this specific purpose. The bolts for instance have as much shank as possible and the loc washers are a high alloy washer. They last longer and hold better than standard zinc plated washers.

As far as caddy calipers are concerned, I have never installed a set. I worked closely with several customers using caddy calipers and the spacing was never an issue.

90blzr, Thanks for the mention. I appreciate it.

bigbadchev84, if you have any more questions feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help in any way possible. I have these kits on hand ready to ship so let me know if you want some. The ones that are pictured on my website don't have 8 holes. Everything in stock does.