Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bsf - 6 lug and disk brakes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok I got new 6 lug wheels for xmas and I want to keep them. But at the same time I need to upgrade my rear end from the 10bolt. I have done some research on the 14bsf and I found that 81-87 it was available only in 8 lug but everything will bolt up under my 85 K10. Then 88-98 it was available as 6 or 8 lug but the spring perches will need to be moved. Through my research and searching on this site I have found a bunch of bits and pieces of info that I would like to put together.

I believe the 14bsf never came from the factory as 6 lug and disk brakes.

I am looking for a 4.10 ratio which I believe is pretty common. I would prefer if I could find (or convert) a 14bsf to 6 lug. So I do know the 8 and 6 lug axel shafts are interchangable, but then I'd run into problems with brakes. I know there are kits to convert to disk brakes, but there are all different types of spacing and axel shaft lengths which have me confused a little.

Could anyone give me their 2 cents on what I need to convert a 8 lug 14bsf to 6 lug and then maybe even convert that to disk brakes? Or if not disk brakes, are the 6 and 8 lug drums directly interchangable? Also exactly what is interchangeable from the 81-87 version and the 88-98 version? :confused:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

If you weant to go 6 lug and disc brakes it would be pretty easy.

Black widow makes a 6 lug conversion kit with disc brakes (or if you find a 6 lug axle, they have just the disc brake kit)

As for 88 and up and 87and down they are the same axle, just differant perches/ shock mounts. Some may be differant widths though...

But if your going to go to 4.10's that means youll have to re gear the front or get a matched set. Your best bet is find a set of 3/4 ton axles , rebuild them, get 8 lug rims. It will be much easier/ less hassle and most likely cheaper in the end.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Even cheaper and easier: get spacers/adaptors made that bolt on the stock 8 luggers and converts it to 6 lugs.

5. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

6. Chevy305

Sorry but 8 to 6 lug adapters don't exist. You can't do it because some of the lugs run into eachother.

Also I already have 4.10s in my 10bolts front and rear. I learned that 3/4ton axels would have been a much better route rather than rebuilding my 10bolts. Oh well, you live and learn. :rolleyes:

7. Chevy305

Thanks for the links

I guess the search that I did, somehow didn't come up with those threads.

Anyway, today I went to the local scapyard and I found 5-6 14bsf. All 8 lug. 2 were from the 81-87 style pickup and 2 were from newer 88+ style, and the others were in vans.

After reading through everything, i think I will go for the 81-87 8 lug rear. one was from a 4wd and the other was from a 2wd. I will go for the 4wd one because it is supposed to be the wider of the 2. So the rear will be $100. I just need to verify the ratio is 4.10. How do I figure that out through the VIN or some other number like that?

Also I looked it up and a 6 lug/disk brake conversion will be $395 from Blackwidow performance. The only other parts I would need are the calipers and brake hoses. Since I have the 465 and MA State insepction needs to have a working e-brake, so Caddy calipers here I come. I looked them up and Autozone says a pair of loaded Caddy calipers are $150. But I have heard some bad things about autozone crap so does anyone have the GM part # for loaded Caddy calipers?

Also does the e-brake cable hook up to the caddy calipers just as it does to my 10bolt drums? Or will I need some special cable?

Also with the D44 rotors and the Caddy calipers, will I have any trouble fitting my new 15" wheels on there?

Also I always thought that the rotor had to be on the outside of the axelshaft, but I read somewhere that you can mount them on the inside of the axel shaft. How does that work? Are there sepcial wheel studs for that? What are the advantages? Also wouldn't that need a different spacer on the caliper bracket?

8. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

You can check the RPO codes in teh dash to check factory ratio, but no saying they havent' been changed.

9. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

On the 88-up 9.5's i've worked on, the ratio is written on the ring gear, so all you have to do is pull to cover. Not sure if it's on the earlier ring gears or not. On a older truck, I'd say it's 50-50 chance it's 4.10's or 3.73's. RPO code is the easiest way if it's stock and readable.

10. Chevy305

Where do I find the RPO code, and how do I tell from it what ratio the rear end is?

11. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I'm not surprised that you can't find any 6 lug 14bsf's. They weren't as common as the 8 lug units, and most are pulled by the recyclers before the vehicle ends up in a pull-it-yourself yard. At least, that's the case out here... :(

In the end, you may be money ahead to simply pony up for a 6-lug from a recycler who has already pulled it. You can probably find one with 4.10's, and it should have all the brakes, etc. Basically, you can just move the perches and throw it in. It would probably much cheaper than swapping ahfts, brakes, etc.

12. Chevy305

So does anyone have the GM part# for caddy calipers? Or could suggest a good parts store to get them from?

13. Chevy305

Caddy Caliper help PLEASE!!

Ok just found out that GM has discontinued Caddy Calipers and parts that will go with them. But Autozone still carries them, so if i were to get the Calipers from Autozone, what else would I need to connect the e-brake cable to them? I have no idea about rear disk brakes someone help me out!!!

I have searched and everything, but all I get is bits and pieces, no one has a complete thread on everything needed to run Caddy calipers in order to retain the e-brake.

EDIT: Ok found a thread to answer my questions http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177560

search button = :bow:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pull the cover if you are buying one. Do NOT buy an axle without doing this. Make sure you get what you want, and it's not broken. Both gov-lock, if you want it, and that the pinion shaft lock "bolt" isn't sheared off.

Not to mention, you know what ratio you'll have for sure.

RPO's are a decent way to start, but don't stop there, just use it as a way to narrow your search down quickly.

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Chevy, you have a pm :whistle:

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

easiest way to ID... count the ring gear teeth, and count the pinion gear teeth. divide the ring by the pinion. should be 41:10 for a 4.10, and may be marked on the side of the ring gear too.

also, what brand are the AutoZone Caddy calipers? what kind of warranty?

another thing you have to take into consideration is the core charge...