Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bsf 8 to 6 lug?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jk3078, Dec 19, 2005.

1. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I did the search and still????
    What all needs to be swapped besides axles? Drums? Brakes? The 14bsf is already welded and i just put new seals and brakes on it. I think this axle with six lugs under the sub-buggy would be be able to handle the 36" Irocks much better than the ten bolt!:burb: :hack: :grind: :weld: :thumb:

2. sebban

sebban Registered Member

Just take out the axle shafts, remove the wheels studs and weld the holes, redrill the 6 lug pattern, insert the studs. Redrill the drums to 6 lug, assemble. Finished. :) Easy peasy!!

If you don't have the proper tools let a workshop do the drilling for you, then you know that everything will be centered properly. That can't be expensive.

3. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Make sure your wheels will fit over the center of the axle. I know that stock steel wheels won't.

4. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Never looked at it that way! Sweet! And yes much cheaper than buying all the parts I'm shure! I know an old boy here in town that works cheap and is reliable. God damn I love this web site its savin me money left and right!:bow:

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Not so easy;
    1. The stud hole patterns do not allow for it in the drum. You will have 2 holes that do not fit correctly.
    2. Welding that much on the axle flange will warp it unless you are VERY careful.
    3. Both of those combined make it difficult to line everything up for the brakes to work correctly.
    4. You will have to machine either your wheels (center hole) or your axle nubs to fit.

I have tried this conversion on MANY different 14BSF axles. I found the easiest/fastest way (also most cost effective) is to convert it with some aftermarket shafts and a disc conversion.

Been there done that, learned the hard way :doah:

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Damn, its too bad you didnt post this last week. I just threw out some SF 6 lug shafts on friday.

7. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Any one else got 2 cents?

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i got a question bout ur k5...why are u running a 14bsf with a 60 in front? i guess you jus love semi-float :-)

9. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I got the 14bsf with a 3/4 ton 44 front for $30! The 14bsf is a good axle for 36''-37'' or smaller tires. the pros of this axle are much better strengh than a 10b or 12b, better ground clearence and lighter than a 60 or 14bff , no need to tear down the carrier to weld it and the brakes are easy to service. The only con is the c-clip axles but I have had no problems with this axle after 2 years of hard use under a 5700# pound truck. I will be swapping in a shaved 14bff with 5.13s and a spool or welded into the k5 soon but only to pave the way for 40'' or bigger tires down the road. This axle will be going under the sub-buggy and a six lug conversion would be lighter and cooler than swapping the front over to eight lugs. I also have several sets of six lug wheels and no wide 8 lug wheels. So how did you all do your conversions? drill or swap?

10. muddybuddy

ok for $30 i guess its ok haha.

11. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

POORBOYS OFFROAD!!!!!!
    ------------------------

12. muddybuddy

why not jus keep it 8lug for now? it will be alot cheaper that way. then once u find 6lug shafts and such buy them, over time you will have everything u need, and cheap.

13. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I have all the parts to swap the 10b front over to eight lug but I dont have wide eight lug rims and new thats about $350. I have 3 sets of cool 6 lug wheels, so I'm stuck inthe middle cost wise plus the eight lug setup would ad another 100# or so to the rig. If re-drilling the axles wont work than I prob. will do like you said and wait for a deal

14. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of a source for the parts to do this conversion on the cheap?