Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bsf questions (stuck drums & removing axle shafts)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Mar 17, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Got my 14bsf from the junk yard and I can't get the drums off. I beat on them, sprayed rust-free on them, and backed the emergency brake adjuster all the way in to get the pads off the drums. The drums spin freely but will not come off. Any suggestions?

Also, how do you free the axle shafts from a 14bsf with a gov-lock. I am getting some 6-lug shafts out of a late model 14bsf 6-lug, (to convert my 8-lug 14bsf to 6-lug) but the donor rear end has a gov-lock and I don't know how to remove or get to the c-clips to remove the axle shafts. Does anybody know how to do that?

Always appreciative,
    Ross

2. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

question one... keep pounding, also put a lugnut on the bolt and tap on that too. let your liquid wrench sit on there over night and it should come off.
    question two... the gov lock should have a center pin held in by a tiny bolt. take it out (be careful putting it back in they tend to snap)and remove the pin. tap the ends of the axles inward and spin the carrier the c lips will fall out and whammo theres your shaft...