Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14bsf worth anything?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, May 5, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I have a parts truck with a 14 bolt semi floater with 4.10's gov lock. It will be easier to scrap the truck with a rolling rear axle but I am considering cutting out the rear axle if I can sell it. Is the 14bsf worth anything, obviously not from a wheeling/peromance point of view but for replacement parts point of view. Think I should try to sell it or don't even bother cutting out out of the truck?

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've seen the govlocs sell on ebay for a decent price. :xmas:

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sure, some people who want a better axle in a K5 than a 10 bolt swap in sf14b axles 'cause they don't want to convert to 8 lug rims.

j

4. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I don;t have a torch or air to efficiently remove the front and rear axles and the engine. I could do it with hand tools but who am I kidding, that will take forever. What would be a fair price to pay a friend to bring over his torch and cut the parts off for me and pull the motor? I'm thinking either $100 or let him scrap the truck and keep the money. What do you all think? The resources I have is a guy who will haul the shell away for free and a car dolly that I can tow with but I need at least 1 rolling axle to do this.

5. jim burke

jim burke Registered Member

Can't the junkyard send a flat bed to pick up the shell? (The truck wouldn't need to have axles if it was hauled on a flat bed). With the high price of scrap metal these days, I'd think most/all junkyards would be pretty anxious to get a full-size truck to crush and ship off to China ;) .

6. jstout

jstout Registered Member

is yours 6lug if so Im intrested

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine isn't selling....

I have one in my 74 K20 I'm cutting up too!-4.10's too!...but so far I cant even get 75 bucks for it!--but thats ok,I prefer to leave it under the truck for the same reason as you,I have the bed loaded with a few tons of other scrap,and cutting it out would be a real chore(my dinky torches are empty,and I'm so broke I cant buy any sawsall blades!)...its diff cover is rotted thru and leaky,and the axle tubes and shock mounts and backing plates are real crusty...its probably better off in the crusher..The front axle is in the same condition--its useable,but very crusty with rust--be good for someone with a K5 they wanted to upgrade,or needs the gears and axles..but I need the truck to roll so my friend will tow it for me--I dont have the luxury of a trailer or my own ramp truck.. :frown1:

If you have to pull the motor with hand tools like I did--I cheated and pulled the nose off--I only had to remove 5-6 bolts,the mounts already rotted off under the radiator,only a few bolts behind the doors,inner fenders,and near the hood hinges were holding it on! :blush: ---I pried the whole nose off with a big pinch bar!--then it was popcorn to pull off the 2 thru bolts in the motor mounts,and the 4 bolts from the TH350 to the adapter on the 205,( I took out the floor hump!)and the motor was out in 15-20 minites.. :laugh: --then the transfer case and driveshafts..wish I could assemble a truck as fast!..

Today I yanked the steering colum,seats,doors,and all the interior stuff out,including the wiring harness,which was butchered badly by its last owner,but another member here is looking for a fuse box,so I'm saving it for him...only thing left in the cab now is the seat belts,and the bolts wont come out,so they are going to the crusher too,unless someone wants to pay m to try and remove them!...its pretty sad looking at it all stripped to nothing!--had it since 1990!.. :frown1:

Its going to the crusher next week at the very latest--the weather has kept me from having it gone already,and I cant wait much longer--I have a few bad teeth that need attention quick--like yesterday!--I'm hoping the price I get for the scrap will be enough to pay off the dentist..Just once I'd like to make some money,and not have to hand it right over to someone else,or for car insurance.. :mad: :frown1:

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I got $100 from an axle shop for the 4.10 gears & gov-lock from a 14SF.

The only other use I can think of is to use it as a trailer axle so you can use your truck's spare on it if need be. ;)

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it's 8 lug you couldn't pay me to take it. If it's 6 lug it's worth a pretty penny. You could get $300 out of it to the right person but I wouldn't pay more than $175.

10. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I decided to just pay the guy torch out the motor, front axle, and rear axle. I will then figure out a way to install my old busted 10 bolt in the rear so it rolls and then trailer it to the scrap yard myself and make a quick $200.

11. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Actually, this really surprised me too. I called 3 places who all told me the same thing - they would only come pick up a complete vehicle with all major parts attached and it had to have a title. There are "junk collectors" who advertise to come pick up ANY scrap however, so this will be my last resort if I can;t just scrap it on my own.

12. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Remove the R&P and gov-lik, slide the axles back in, bolt the wheels on w/o the drums and you can still roll the truck around...at least long enough to get it on the flat bed.

Then sell the R&P to me!

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I drove across a state and a half to pick up one of those!

The 6-lug is more valuable, but the older 8-lugs are direct bolt-ins to a K5. They are a 3/4-ton axle, with parts as big as a Dana 60, so they are not weak, even though they are semi-floating.

Check around with local junkyards to see what they sell for in your area.

14. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ive got an 8 lug 14bsf in my backyard if anyone wants it, $150 takes it 3.73, gov-lock, new brake shoes, full of gear oil still.