Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff ARB question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jayweb, Dec 22, 2005.

1. jayweb

jayweb 1/2 ton status

going to get 1 tons soon - will the ARB work in a detroit euipped rear or do I need an open rear? (searched - didnt see anything)

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The ARB will work with anything. It is a complete carrier replacement so it does not matter what you have in there now. The only thing that matters is what carrier break you are at i.e. 4.10 and down or 4.56 and up. If you go 4.10 and down you can still run thick gears on the ARB.

Ira

3. jayweb

jayweb 1/2 ton status

so if I got one from a cucv with 456 i would run standard (not thick) ? correct?

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yes that is correct. If you dont mind me asking why would you take out an indistructable locker and dump tons on cash on a selectable for the rear.

Ira

5. jayweb

jayweb 1/2 ton status

been reading the posts on how a detroit acts in wet/snowy conditions, and how they chew up tires. My rig is not a dd anymore, but it could/will see a few road trips. when I do get the tons, I will probably just get used to the locker - never driven on one - and later may consider the arb. basically just dont want to put my a** in a ditch or hit somebody, or ruin a set of high dollar tires due to the scrubbing (closest (legal) trails are over an hour away) just sort of checking my options/planning ahead in my mind - but yeah, that is a lot of $$$$ for a locker

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thats kewl I was just curious. I have a Detroit in my 14FF and have yet to drive on it and I got a crosscountry trip ahead of me.

Ira

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A Detroit has not been a big deal in the rear for me. Automatic & 106.5" WB.

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have also considered the ARB to replace my Detroit. I hear that the carrier and other HW is huge and well built so if you air line and o-rings are good and installed correctly I think reliability would be satisfactory.

Why would I do this?? I do not mind my Detroit for the x-country trips - it does get sketchy on long sweeping corners where you are on and off the gas. The truck will shift with each transition. If you drive agressively with the Detroit you will not notice it much. Until it rains!! First rain and snow you will have your hands full :eek1:

I have had great luck with my ARB in front and like the option of on or off. Who has the latest price on the 14ff ARB??

9. jayweb

jayweb 1/2 ton status

2Dogs - that is what I was thinking, I agree with sandawg on the detroit being bombproof, and cheap, but what if the wife has to drive it? I know what would happen if mine did! We dont get big snowfalls all that often - more like 1 to 2 inches mixed with ice. The initial cost IS prohibitive, but maybe the ARB would be worth it in the long run. thanks for the opinions so far - any others?

10. 2Dogs

Yes, exactly. I do not let my wife drive it around town but the freeway is ok. It has actually improved in straight line wet conditions. I think the locker and crossover steering helped that. I have hit some puddles that would have pulled the shorter blazer all over. The setup now has amazed me. The tires might have something to do with that also but I digress/hijack :D

11. 2Dogs

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425300

Granted Jesse has a shop but he wouldn't be putting something behind his BB that he knew would grenade. He also is going with STAK - Oh, how I would love to have the same setup (including the BBC). :pimp:

Post/call/PM him in a few weeks for a good opinion on the ARB.

12. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I havea 14BFF ARB. I havent finished the compressor install yet, but it works fine while open :D. Im gona finish that off, as soon as I can get some time in my buddies garage. Its hard to work in over a foot of snow when you dont have to.

Current price should be around $850+, when I was looking for one, not too many places could get them. I got my ARB through Stephen at HAD.

I think I will make a write up on the install. I thought of some good pointers that pirate didnt say.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158353

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

My wife daily drives a 14 bolt with a Detroit with no problems. She even drives in the snow with both the front and rear locked.:D If I ever install a ARB it will be in the front not the rear. She had a good laugh over the wife comments though. As for tire issues, after 2 years I don't have any real issues. The only time it really is an issue is tight turns pulling out or in parking lots.