Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF axle question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gbfan, Aug 28, 2004.

1. gbfan

gbfan Registered Member

Did a search but found nothing. 72 blazer swapped in a 14 bolt out of a 76 C20. had to weld new spring perches on so I angled the pinion up for pinion angle. Now it seems the gear oil is leaking into the axle tubes and into the hubs. Is there an axle seal in there? or because I angled the pinion up I am over servicing the rear causing it to run into the axle tubes?

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The wheel bearings on a 14 bolt (and most other full floating rears) are lubed by the gear oil. It is supposed to be in the hubs. You do not need to grease the wheel bearings.

3. gbfan

gbfan Registered Member

That is good info I did not know that. I have a disc brake set up. If it is leaking out onto the rotor I should change that hub seal?

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The wheel bearings on a 14 bolt (and most other full floating rears) are lubed by the gear oil. It is supposed to be in the hubs. You do not need to grease the wheel bearings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you do need to make sure they are lubed upon assembly. Either by packing them with grease or by shooting some oil into the hubs on assembly.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    That is good info I did not know that. I have a disc brake set up. If it is leaking out onto the rotor I should change that hub seal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it sounds like the hub seal if it is leaking on the inner side or the axle gasket if it is leaking on the outside. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif