Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff brake backing plate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IDGMC, Mar 14, 2006.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I was reading the article about axle swap that Steve wrote. And it states on newer chevy's the backing plate will have to be swapped out for a press on style 13". I've got a 91 k5 and I'm swapping in a 76 14ff. Would I need to swap the backing plate? I don't understand why I would. I'm not sure if he is refering to the axle coming off a newer truck or if the donor axles is going onto a newer truck.... I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row so I can do this swap in a weekend...

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I have no idea what you're talking about, but if it's a complete and functioning rear end, why would you need to do anything to it? If it's gonna be a big pain to deal with, just sell it, buy an older one, convert to rear disc and you're done.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The only reason that I can think of off the top of my head about the backing plate thing is that its referring to the factory ebrake cables if your staying with drum brakes. But if your going to be swapping in a 14FF from a 1976 into a 1991 K5 with a rear disc kit, then by all means, just slap that sucka under there and go.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The parking brake cables are the problem you'll face.

Some of the newer 14BFF's (post-'91) have the drums that go over the hub, so you don't have to take the hub off to get the drums off. However, you'd have more fun with these axles, like moving spring perches and shock mounts, anyway.

I would do discs on yours. Discs ROCK.

-- A

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Another problem which is the one I ran into was GM changed how the Ebrakes cables attached and also how they were routed I think it was in 74. the axle I bought had equal length Ebrake cables that bolted to the backing plate and on my K5 the cables pressed in to the backing plate and the passenger side was longer so it would come across the axle and connected to the pedal with the driver side brake. If I had it to do over I would have just gone disc with caddy calipers.:doah:

Ira