Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF brake problems...constant adjusting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pure Insanity, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Since I put the 14 in the Blazer in late Nov, I have had to adjust them 3 times. I get about 2 weeks per adjustment out of them. I notice them acting strange and the pedal going further down and I will ultimately lose them.

When I had it all apart I removed the cables altogether since they werent long enough. I dont see where this would cause the problem I am having as I have cut off the cables on my other 2 rigs at the backing plate. I didnt think complete removal would be any different.

I am not sure of the yr of the axle, but it is 70s I think since it had the 2 equal length cables and not 1 long 1 short like the 80s have.

When adjusted up they work great and have locked up the 38s on pavement at close to 60. (scary as hell too!) I am not in a position right now to do a disk swap as much as Id like to. Getting ready to buy a house has sucked up all my Blazer Bucks.

Anyone got a clue whats going on?

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Is it possible that when you put them all together, you mixed up the self adjusters? There is a left and right, if you install them incorrectly, they will loosen, not tighten the brakes. Just a long shot, but if they need adjusting to that extent, you might check it out. Pull the drum off and work the self adjuster. When it turns the star wheel, is it tighten? If it is lossening the shoes, you got them reversed.

Keep us posted, this is an interesting one.

Eric M.

3. Pure Insanity

Normally I only take apart one side at a time just for that reason, but I am thinking I may have taken both sides apart at the same time when I did the 14. HMMMM.

I will be adjusting them again before this weekend and I will note which way I have to spoon the adjuster. I am 99% sure I had to spoon them down, as in turn the wheel down.

I REALLY dont feel like going thru disassembly unless I cant find out WHY this is happening. (lame I know) When I first put the axle in I had to take the hub and drum off like 5 times and it really got old fast.

The adjuster is a very good point. I did have them out and took them apart to clean and lube them when it was apart. I may have mixed them up. BUT isnt it the parking brake that self adjusts the wheel? Or is it when you back up and apply the brakes....I have heard both ways. The arms for the PB is still in there but the cables are gone.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Are the drums thick? If they are getting thinner, the pedal will go down more and more regardless of how much you adjust them. The drums may not be thick enough. Buy some new ones after you measure them to check for the minimum thickness. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you figure out how to make self adjusting brakes work properly, you're the man. I swear its like they're new technology or something. I've yet to find an old vehicle with fully functional rear brakes. I've never quite experienced what you're going through though.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The self adjusting brakes adjust when you are backing up and braking hard. I usually go up a hill and then let it back up by gravity and pump the brakes repeatedly until I have a good pedal although I try and get it close manually before I put it together.
    To know if you have it on correctly, the locking sprig loaded tab should lock it when you try and loosen the brakes up.
    SO lift the tab and try and turn it and see what you have.
    If you didn't understand what I mean, let me know so I can try and put it in a different way or try and dig up some schematics and explain it graphicaly.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Pure Insanity

After thinking about this for a few hrs, I know the adjusters are on correctly. If they were backwards they would not have adjusted out because the lock tab would have stopped the wheel from turning. So thats 1 suspect down.

The drums and linings all had a good amount of meat on them, and the wheel cyl. were replaced when I installed the axle. That makes 2.

The brakes work killer when they are adjusted up properly. I was very impressed by the difference between the little 11in brakes of the 10 bolt vs the 13in brakes of the 14. The rears will actually lock up the 38s.

Thanx for clearing up how they auto adj. Ice. I know some brakes adj. by the parking brake and some adj. by backing up. I wasnt sure which these were. I am really starting to think this may be related to me removing the cables completely. There is a spring between the backing plate and the PB arm that is now gone, so the arm is "in theory" able to flop around in there.

I know I am gonna have to tear it down again and take a look and prob reinstall the cables and cut them off at the backing plate to get the spring back in there or remove the arm also. Its just after working on cars all day the last thing I want to do is mess w/ my own. LOL! I know its really not that big of a deal but pulling the axles then messing w/ the hubs to pull the drums is a PIA IMO. Its only like 5 min. per side but then we go back to me just not wanting to. LOL! Id really like to know WHY this is happening just for curiousity at this point. Plus if theres something faulty in there Id like to be prepared to do it rather than break it down and have to leave it apart till the next day at the shop.

Maybe I need to start collecting the disk stuff up so I can do it. I have the flex lines for the calipers and a pair of core calipers, I still need the big stuff, the new rotors and the caliper mounts.

8. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

are the self adjusters really worn out? mine were, and i had to Manually adjust them myself, id say replace all the springs and self adjusting brake parts, its worth doing and will save you alot of crap in the long run, unless you replaced the stuff already, then that just makes me sound like an idiot, well good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. Pure Insanity

The adjusters were kinda rusty when I opened the axle up after it sitting in the barn for about 2 yrs. I got them apart, ran the wire wheel over the treads and cleaned out the female side. Lubed it all w/ wheel bearing grease and reassembled it. Everything inside was good and tight the way it should be. Thats why the whole problem baffles me. It shouldnt be this way.

If Im wearing linings THIS fast Ill be sorely disappoited. The little 10b brakes lasted quite a while. I doubt Im wearing linings this fast, I only drive about 10 miles each way to and from work, and thats all Ive driven since the last adjustment.

Going ahead and just replacing everything would be a good idea but if Im gonna dump $100 bucks in brakes again I may as well step up to the disks.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey you got your culprit.
    You need that spring to hold the stop braket. That is what keeps it from turning back.
    Do what you said and you should have the solution.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif