Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff brake ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dubl_t, Jan 5, 2003.

1. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

14ff brake ?\'s

Coming back from Wyoming, my seal went out and got diff fluid all overthe brakes. Now, the 6 prong socket I got from Napa dosn't fit. Does anybody have a part #? for a good one? And, can I clean up the shoes since they were fairly new? Also, it looks like an "oil slinger" that the seal rides on is torn, any tricks o replacement? Thanks for the speedy responses

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Re: 14ff brake ?\'s

I had to buy my hub socket at a mom and pop part store - autozone, o-reilly, etc. did not have it.

I think the shoes absorb oil and will need to be replaced - not 100% certain though.

What slinger are you talking about? I replaced the hub seals on my 14 bolt FF and I didn't have any slingers.
    -- Mike

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

roger on the shoes they are shot. they will work but theyll smell, smoke, pull, and stoppy crappily.

nathan

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

So what are the prices on 14 bolt shoes, drums cost also if you know the cost of new seals and bearings getting a 14 bolt ff tomarrow and want to rebuild it first. Also I need a carrier bearing how much are those and will I have to go store hopping to find all these parts? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

not trying to hyjack your thread just have related questions

Thanks Shawn

5. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

If your spindle nut are 6 lug, you might just round off the lugs on the socket, it's what I had to do.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Supersize75: Can't help ya w/actual $#, but parts are relatively more expensive. But for the application they last longer and are more durable. I canusually find everything at Napa. Some parts I buy at "discount" houses, but with parts like bearings, you get what you pay for.

7. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

TX & 69: Yea, that's wat I was afraid of regarding the shoes, but I'm suprised (?) you ddn't havea slinger that the seal rides on. Maybe it's not necessary?

8. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

77fixer: It looks like my socket wll work if I "modify" it, I was jus wondering if anybody else had to. Now, should I pack the bearings with grease?

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The hub seal is a few dollars. Shoes are inexpensive.
    I think inner and outer bearings w/ races will cost you about $90 for both sides.
    How do you know the carrier bearing is shot? I doubt you can just buy it anywhere. I got all my differential bearings from Randy's Ring and Pinion, in a kit.
    You can get everything else at Autozone.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I had to modify my 14b tool as well. Just knocked the edges off the inside corners of each prong and it fit like a glove. </font color>

11. supersize75

I think or believe the carrier bearing is shot cause the guy said it was when I bought it he said it made a small noise and yes I inspected the rest for wear.

Can you put up a pic of your modified tool I have no clue what ya mean. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, I;m not gonna touch that one with a 10 foot pole, but I'm sure someone will come in and hijack this thread based on that comment...

If you actually want a pic of the modified 14 bolt tool then I can go take one right now, just let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

13. supersize75

me so sorry /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif