Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF carrier main cap bolt question, thoughts.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdn2blazer, Dec 30, 2006.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

so I have read the entire billa vista 14 FF bible and even copied it from Pirate. it says to put NEW bolts in the main caps and lock washers. BUT dont use regular grade bolts or lock washers. the regular G8 washers are not as thick as the OEM ones are and the factory bolts are a special length, 2 3/4 long.

I understand the bolt length is different overall but as long as the shank length is the same, say if you took a 3 in bolt and machined if to 2 3/4 whats the difference?

I bought grade 9, F911 bolts that are exactly the same shank length, just 3 in long. I figured I would just machine them to the same lenght as the OEM ones. I went with the stronger G9 just because I dig extra heavy duty :D .

as far as the washers go, I agree with the article, so I still need to find the extra thick lock washers.

see any problem with this?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Sounds good to me. Check into the high alloy loc washer. I believe they are thicker but stronger, longer lasting for sure.

3. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the 14bff. but most GM rears use flanged grade 8 bolts with no washers. A standard grade 8 bolt with a hardened AN or SAE (if it will fit) washer could be substituted. I don't see a problem with re-using the bolts - they aren't stretch-to-yield bolts after all...

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

:haha:

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

what you laughin at!:haha:

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

all three 14FF's I have, have non flanged G8 bolts with extra thick split loc washers. these are the factory setup. I agree about reusing the bolts, this is what suprised me in the article saying not to reuse them. I can see replacing the washers. the bolts do have a gouge from the loc washer though.

I think my G9 bolts cut to proper lenght will work fine with extra thick split loc washers. I even thought about using ARP studs if they make them in that size, but I did not check yet.

7. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't hesitate to reuse the original bolts with hardened washers instead of lock washers. But that's just me :D

8. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

yep, re-use the originals! if the lock washer still spreads when its taken off, re-use that too..

whats next-- replace the diff cover bolts too? :)