Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF Carrier removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieRed, Mar 19, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Got the outer clamps off, and axle shafts out. Nothing wants to move? I need that dern carrier out! Also- how is the pinion assembly supposed to come out?

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It's got pretty tight tolerances so it's not gonna fall out. You'll probably have to get a pry bar under it.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

pinion nut needs to be removed and then the yoke pulled off the pinion stem, and the carrier is a tight fit, you may need to spread out the case a little to get the carrier out, kinda wedged in there,

4. BowtieRed

i've been using a pry bar- but if i have everything taken off, and it IS that tight- how the heck is it supposed to go back in!?

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

If you will look where you took the main bearing caps off you will see little holes in those rings. Use those to loosen those carrier bearing rings and they will spin in or out (can't remeber which way they turn) and then the carrier will just lift right out. Make sure you count how many times you turn each carrier bearing ring (probably not calling it by it's right name) that way when you put the carrier back in you will have your preload already set. If I remeber right, it's been awhile since I've done that.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Stop! You're going to ruin something.

You have to first back off the stops at each end of the carrier. To do this you thread them toward the axle tubes. They are round with holes around them, so you rotate them with a screwdriver or similar pushing them from those holes. If you mark their current position before turning them, it will be easier to set your gears back later.

7. BowtieRed

caught me just in time! i was prying HARD! BUT i din't hear or feel anything break, so i think i'm ok.

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

If your going to rebearing it you should check the backlash and do a pattern check before you take it all apart, so you have some idea of where it is at, and when you put it back together it will be a little easier.

9. BowtieRed

i'm not putting any new bearing in- and checking backlash is impossible- someone ran it without any oil and the pinion gear is. . . well, i'll get photos when i get it out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif