Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF casting age

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Jun 7, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Does anyone know how to tell the year of a 14FF? Is there a casting date on the housing or something? Mine has some numbers and a casting clock like engine blocks have but I am not sure how to read it. I checked billavistas 14 bolt bible and it had no data on the subject.

Thanks

Ira

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

check the numbers on the ring gear. then post up what they are.

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

that won't tell him the year of the axle, just the year of the ring gears....

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Any posting of numbers will have to wait until I get home from work but I will post the castings off of the housing and there locations when I get home in case anyone might know anything. It would be so much easier if they had a BOM on them.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

axle codes ..

They stamp axle codes on the axle tubes--the dealer parts book has them listed,tells the ratio and year,and whether its a posi or not..They are usually not stamped where they tell you too look though...they say its on the passenger side axle tube on the upper surface near the pumpkin,but I've found them on the drivers side,on the bottom of the tubes,etc--and they are not stamped very deep many times...every axle code I found required me to wire brush nearly the whole axle before I finally spotted them..your dealer can look up the codes--its a 3 letter code like RAH on older 73-87 trucks..... :crazy:

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks I will try to see if I can find that on mine I have had it stripped down wirewheeled the hell out of it and primed and painted but I did not see anything. Of course I was not looking either.

Thanks again

Ira

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I found the stamping on my axle and it is RFJ. Can anyone tell me what this means I know it is a 3/4 ton based on spring perch width but I do not know what year. Any help would be great thanks.

Ira