Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff detroit install ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 5280k5, Apr 28, 2006.

1. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

i searched here, pirate, offroad.com and no info could be found. i bought a used detroit for my 14ff but it doesn't have the bolt/washer asy holding the two halves together. every install article i read says NOT to remove that until carrier is back together. am i screwed without it?? anyone done one w/out that piece holding it together:confused: TIA Brigham.

2. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

that bolt is only to help you compress the spings to get the thing in. just go down and get one from a hardware store. there is nothing special about it other than the length, and the outside diameter of the washers have to be bigger than the inside diameter of the side gear on the detroit.

3. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

thanks Masiony, kinda what i thought but never done one before. I'm putting it in tomorrow and was reading up a tech article too make sure i knew what i was doing and kept seeing them talking about the bolt like if you took it apart you'd never get it installed.

4. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

that is just because those springs are a bitch to compress.

5. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

i guess if they weren't as strong as they are no one would be running a detroit in their truck:rolleyes: wish me luck, at least i'll have a 3wd until i get some front traction.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There fixed it for you. If the outside diameter or the washer were bigger than the inside diameter of the side gear you wouldn't be able to remove the washers.

7. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

yeah, what i was meaning it would stay on the outside of the side gear. i was calling the splines the inside diameter and the part where it goes into the carrier the outside diameter. the washer needs to be inbetween these two numbers.

8. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

When you get the parts you need, how about posting the washer sizes and the lenght of the bolt - I will be needing to do this shortly.

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

x2...I was planning on just grabbing a stick of all-thread and some bolts i have kickin around the garage, but I dont know what size washers to use.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think i still have the washers that were on my detroit when i bought it, i'll look today when i get home from work and post up what size they are and how long the bolt needs to be.

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I just installed one last week.

3/16 bolt 5" long

1 1/2" wide 3/16 fender washers.

with a wing nut on the end.

12. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

BTW the bolt and washers look hardened.

13. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

just finished putting locker in, wound up using some hardware laying around shop: 5/8 bolt about 5-6" long works good, washer was like kayser soze said 1.5" diameter(not much room to go any bigger). i just used a plain old nut on the side down inside carrier with the bolt head on the outside of carrier. worked just fine:D getting ready to leave work and test drive home. will post up later about any weirdness while driving w/locker for the first time. thanks for the help.