Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF disc brake conversion rings. Checking intrest, may machine & sell these

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdn2blazer, Apr 13, 2005.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

here are the rings I made that replaces the spacers that are used to bolt the caliper bracket to the axle flange. the bracket bolts directly to the flange, these ring spacer go between hub and rotor. I will press the ring to the hub using stock studs then the rotor bolts to the ring using 8 5/8 18 grade 8 bolts and crimp nuts on back side of ring between the hub recesses. you can see the shoulder that locates the rotor on center so everything is concentric. clearence from ring to hub is .005, and from ring to rotor is .005. i figured thats plenty close enough. they look like wheel spacers but they are not. they are part of a disc conversion set up.

DSCN0057.JPG

DSCN0058.JPG

DSCN0059.JPG

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Interesting. Never thought of that before. That looks like you would also not have to press any studs out if you need to get the rotors turned. I dig it.

3. rdn2blazer

yes thats correct, it should make it easier. i have made several sets too.

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

so whats your price on em?>

just curious

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just a idea ever look at ( ford ) 3/4 ton twin ibeam frt rotors. thay are about that much thicker. just a idea.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

VERY ingenious! I cant belive all this time noone thought of somethign like that. I guess a lot of people are cheap and would rather just run spacers. Looking good man!

7. rdn2blazer

I will have to think about it and get back to you on that. I just made these for myself, but I would'nt mind making a few extra sets to sell.

8. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

nm this post i didnt read it right

9. rdn2blazer

Some may know I'm going to be starting a small machine shop. Getting a cnc mill. These rings I made, I may start machining them and selling them. Checking intrest. Price is unknown right at the time. Maybe about what a typical wheel spacer runs as a quick guess. That will have to be figured out though to be more spicific.

10. schuttothrill

schuttothrill 1/2 ton status

The cool factor is very high!

11. rdn2blazer

These were spicifically for a disc brake conversion, It's going to take a while to get up and running, but I want to check intrest on lots of parts before we just go machining stuff.

12. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

Sounds good to Me. Wouldn't have to
    Pull the hub assembly or press out in studs would make rotor replacement much easier.

13. schuttothrill

schuttothrill 1/2 ton status

Seems prudent. To clarify my last post, for as cheap as a guy can use regular spacers, and no more often that rotors would need to be turned, I don't imagine they'd be a very worthwhile investment for most folks. But for guys like you and I who can make one-off stuff like this just cause its awesome and we can, then yes. Very big cool factor :)

14. rdn2blazer

Thank you, yeah, they're not for everybody cost wise.

15. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

Would you Be selling a complete Kit With this to do the disk conversion or is this a add on to what already Available? I Already Have done my conversion so I wouldn't need this ring now but in a future build if you offer the complete
    Kit it would be Much easier to Do This than the Pound out in or press method Of The studs.

16. rdn2blazer

I'm considering having it be a complete kit less calipers. It would come with caliper brackets, the aluminum spacer rings, and necessary mounting hardware to mount the caliper to the housing flange, and the bolts to mount the rotor to the ring. You would use your old studs or buy new. I doubt I would supply calipers cause they can be had at any auto parts store for cheap.

We would be machining the caliper brackets as well. Not that they would be any different then any others out there, they wouldn't be bent like some manufactures are though, they would be machined complete. So they would be precise, have the edges chamfered for a clean look vs a fairly sharp edge like all the plasma cut brackets are. The perifery surface would be milled with a nice finish vs plasma cut. The center hub hole would be the same, nicely machined and chamfered.

17. rebelgregory

rebelgregory Left-Brainer

Wouldn't your spacer offset the rotor from the hub (inboard)? what effect would it have on an off-the-shelf set of brackets for those of us that already have them?

18. 82355

82355 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What would be the advantage of using these instead of just running spacers or a bent mount?

Martin

19. Deuling

Deuling "Official CK5 Post Whore" Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey rob, figure out a 6 lug conversion and i may be down :whistle:

20. rdn2blazer

By the way, I'm officially calling this,... "THE ROTOR RING DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KIT"

I'll address this in two parts.

Yes, of course it would. But thats not a problem.

What happens with the rotor when using The Rotor Ring? It moves the rotor inboard.

What needs to happen? Caliper needs to move inboard with it to work properly.

What does the caliper bracket do? Hold the caliper. It has to be moved outboard with a spacer to work with the typical flat bracket conversions which most everybody made for a long time, and still do I believe.

Remove the spacer, and it moves the cal. brkt. inboard, with the rotor, when using The Rotor Ring.

The Rotor Ring is the same thinkness as a typical cal. brkt. spacer. Plenty strong enough for this application. It's been a long time since I made these, I could take a mic reading to see exactly what thickness they are. I believe I made one set exactly the spacer thickness I have. Then I heard someone else say they had a spacer a different thickness.

So I took a second look at my design, and determined it would be best to make it a different thickness, basically a thickness between mine, and what the other guys was. Any other variation would and could be soaked up by the floating caliper bolts that hold the pads on and to the caliper bracket.

Stainless steel Keen-serts are installed into the Aluminum for a much better wear factor vs the aluminum base material. And the Rotor Ring is directly bolted to the hub with 8, 5/8 grade 8 or grade 9 as an upgrade. And it a bolt shank shear, not thread shear design.

It still puts the caliper in a correct location over the rotor. Was that your concern? And does that explain it correctly? And whats your opinion please? I'm putting this out there, so I want an honest opinion good or bad. I can't complain about what you have to say if I ask for it honestly, right? Sorry if this is kind of long. I'm sick at the moment and am a zombie right now :doah:.

This setup WILL NOT WORK with the bent caliper type brackets. The bend removes the ability to use this setup.

This is for the guys that have the straight disc brake caliper bracket conversions already and want to upgrade, or the guys who are looking to get a kit and are shopping around to find out who makes them. So, I figure I'll give it a shot and throw my design in the mix. For the guys who have flat bracket conversions already, these can or will be sold seperatly as well.

See above ^ :D

The main advantage is not having to pound out the wheel studs to replace the rotors. You remove the hub/rotor assembly, unbolt the rotor, bolt new one on and your done. No BFH necessary to deal with. They're also a bad ass piece of beautiful machined art. Like any machined piece is, so it will automatically make your rig rock crawl better. And go faster too, but for four wheel drives it will make it crawl better too :D.