Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff drums draggin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Aug 2, 2006.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, put in my 14ff 2 weeks ago. Replaced the rear brakes when I put it in, new shoes, wheel cylinders, bled em, etc. Well, it was like the rear brakes were dragging. It stopped normally at first, then after I would drive awhile the brakes would get.....grabby....I had that happen a couple times with my old rear axle if I would forget the parking brake was on, rear shoes get hot and the brakes get grabby.

Anyway, adjusted the rears, no problems for a few days, well, sure enough, today its back to the rears getting hot and grabby. Cant smell the brakes burning, but they are grabby, and the drum is hot. The backing plate and axle tubes arent hot.

So I backed the shoes off, drove it again, no problem, stops fine.

Some people have problems with the rears not adjusting, my SF didnt adjust, my FF OVERADJUSTS?! Anyone know what I may have f'd up when I put brakes on it, or what to do?

I adjusted the rears according to the GM manual, tighten em down till you have a fair drag on the wheels, and then back em off 33 clicks.

EDIT: O yeh, when they get to acting grabby, when Im not on the brakes, its like I have a moderate vibration that comes and goes. I assume its the shoes riding on the drum, cause if I have a vibration and tap the brakes its like fly through the windshield time, if I dont have a vibration and tap the brakes, its harder braking than it should be, but not nearly as bad

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Um no Chris you have it all wrong, its your lack of A/C thats causing the problem

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Your rig has too much pressure going to those larger 14bff brakes. You need a proportioning valve to dial down the pressure. Mine does the exact same thing.

4. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I have to ask. you did put the right adjusters on the correct sides, right?

edit: also, did you replace the rear brake hose?
    a brake hose can collapse internally and can act like a check valve.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh I did the brakes one side at a time, so I know the adjusters are on there right. Also the rear brake hose is the same one that was on my FF. Unbolted it from the SF, attached it to the FF.

So midnite, are the brakes actually dragging, or are they just getting hot cause they are doing alot of extra stopping? I robbed the proportioning valve off of the suburban I got the FF out of, if I swapped it in, do you think it would cure it? Or when you say proportioning valve, are you talking about that little height sensing piece of crap that is on the rear axle? Thanks

6. midnitewarya

They may be dragging, but that can be fixed by letting in some on the adjusters, but as long as the stock prssure is going back there, they will be hot. Those 13"x2.5" brakes need a lot less pressure to stop that the original 11x2" did. My drums are always hot, even if I just shoot down to the gas station for a gallon of milk they get really hot. Also, if I press hard enough, my rear locks up before the front has a chance to fully brake. I got one of these (http://www.mirafiori.com/~courtney/128/tech/tilton_prop_valve.html) to cure it, just havnt put it in yet. I got the idea from Stephen over at ORD. His did the same thing when he put his 14bff in, he cured it by switching to discs.

I think Im gonna install mine inside of the frame rail about midway down.

:D

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh, I might do that, I just really suck at making flare fittings. Takes about 10 tries to get 1 good one, lol. Do you think if I put that burban prop valve on, since it had the FF, it would work, or since it was a 2wd 3/4ton, would that screw with the front brakes?

8. midnitewarya

Im not sure, but I am betting it would mess with the front brakes a little. Even though the fronts are supposed to be on a different system, I dont think the Burban vavle was designed for the weight of a K5. If the rears lock up at all before the front fully brakes, your gonna loose stopping distance. You could give it a try though, and if it works, that would be awesome. I know there is alot of guys who have this problem.

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got a truck, but yeh I know what you are saying. With the rears like they are, it stops insanely well, as in through the windshield. Only problem is, that its through the windshield barely pushin the pedal lol.

Eh what the heck, I might put it on there this weekend, its free, sittin in a box out in the garage, if it dont work, Im out an hour of my time and a bottle of brake fluid.....Only problem is the valve is behind that dang steering box brace...argh.

10. midnitewarya

Thats it! Go build some character!

And Im a retard. k20 = truck.

Im gonna go haze myself for awhile.

11. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    Maybe try bleeding the whole system again. I had lots of issues with grabby brakes. I couln't stop without screeching tires not good in front of the pole-ese. My problem was the front shocks and I needed a front end alignment. My problem went away once I got it aligned (new balljoints) and new shocks. I feel the alignment did the most. but the shocks helped some.

Ya diving when you brake??? My body would shift so much = light rear end and screech .

bob

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Have a slight dive, but what liftedtruck doesnt. Itll dive if I push the brakes kinda hard, with the grabbiness, its a brace yourself with your left foot and hope the belt latches, otherwise you are meeting the steering wheel.

I might try bleeding em again, but the problem only happens when the brakes heat up. And why else would they heat up, unless they are having a little bit of pressure applied all the time.

Why did I never read this kinda stuff, until I went and did it. ARGH!

13. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Chris stop fooling with the brakes and concentrate on the A/C, thats the real problem

14. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

I agree. That must suck on a hot humid morning with no A/c, but i wouldn't know my A/c works great, its so cold it will fog up the windows:D

15. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Naw, dont suck at all, look cooler riding w/ windows down, than the windows up, shut off from the world....Cause if I had AC working, the windows would be limo tint, and I WOULD be shut off from the world.

Plus, Im just more badass than the both of you, cause I DD a bigblock.

16. sandracer799

I normally DD a big block so i feel your pain on that one, however mine has A/c

And yes i am shut off the from the world limo tint is great even helps keep the truck cooler, but you wouldnt know anything about that b/c your windows are always down.:haha:

17. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

you never drive that truck, your always driving your dads duramax.

O yeh, mine technically has AC, just no compressor.

18. sandracer799

yea well eventually i will work my way back to the 454 but as for now i am still cooler b/c one i have A/c and two i have a turbo on my dd!

19. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

until you DD a turbo big block, you cannot consider yourself a greater badass.

............Why the heck am I participating in the whoring of my own post........

20. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    you got the same symptoms I had. I'd dick with the rear brakes blead adjust repeat. I have no brakes no brakes then STOP , dive ouch. everybody stare at the idiot. I went though the are my rears working to hard or the fronts not enough???

good luck. oh and fix that AC

bob