Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff dually vs singel wheel. whats the diff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, May 2, 2007.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ive got a line on 2 dually 14ff. with 4.11 for 100:D im thinkin this is a purty good deal. what is the difference in the dually vs a single wheel?

i know hte perches would have to be moved for teh swap into my k5s but. other than that and shock mounts is the track width different?

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

talking 73-87?

the DRW is a narrower trackwidth than the SRW.

3. broncoman6524

hmm so should i pass on them? im not sure what years the 14bolts are out of. but the 2 k5s are and 84 and a first gen.

4. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

well its up to you, you can make up some width with selection of wheel in the rear like run a 12 inch wide rear and 10 in front and plus, those are some big as sssss brakes lmao.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

$100 for both? id get them. if you dont use them, resell them.

6. broncoman6524

oh i would use them regardless. i just dont want my damn trucks to look retarted. if i bought both one would go into the mud truck. and the other into my dd k5.

hmm...i would have to buy new wheels for it. so your saying like some 15x12s with a bunch of bs would work better?

then on my mud truck ive already got a set of 16.5x9.75 for the front axle. with like 5.5 backspacing if i was to get that but only 8lug would that be "correct" and make it look normal/ride stable?

7. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

i was just givin an example, ive seen the drw axles ran with that setup and it looks good and the outside of the tires are pretty close inline. it doesnt hurt to have a wider front nor do i think imo that it looks stupid, remember functionality of looks. you will love that rear in your mud truck, it will be there for a life time, do you want to sell me one lmao

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well with less backspacing (as in 2.5"bs) also, if you switched to srw hubs and ran spacers in the rear they would be fine.

9. broncoman6524

sure if youd wanna drive down here to get it...:haha: im not sure that i would wanna ship something like that...:eek1:

10. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

If you are talking about a C&C 14 bolt the housings and axels are the same as srw.
    Swapping drw hubs for srw make it a srw.
    You will have to move the mount for the backing plates to run drums or bolt on disk brakes.
    or use the cheaper weld on brackets for disks.

11. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

X2

Not sure I agree with this part. The axle comes with drum brakes. The backing plate has a recessed area to move it toward the center of the truck. Are you saying if he swaps in the SRW hubs he'll have to get SRW hub backing plates? That I might agree with though it's been a while since I've been into one. I have a set of 14 bolt backing plates and brakes etc in my yard left from when I went 4 wheel disc.

12. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Registered Member

I just cut off the backing plate mounts on my C&C 14FF. They are not in the same location as the SRW axles, a bolt-on rear disc kit (for an SRW axle) won't fit. I had to get some weld-on brackets for mine when I swapped to SRW hubs.

Here is a pic I found somewhere of a rear disc mock-up on a DRW axle. You can see that installing an SRW hub would move the disc even farther away from the backing plate mount.

discfinal.jpg

13. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

just run dual rear wheels and be a little different. :wink1:

14. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Yea man, Another note is that the SRW hubs will give you a wider stance by 4 inches over the DRW hubs.

15. broncoman6524

yeah i think im gonna pass. id love to get them just because of what they are and the price but its about 100miles away. and im wanting something that will be more of a bolt on sort of procedure.

thanks guys

16. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

If you plan on going disc then this might not be a bad deal as l long as you can locate some SRW hubs. Cutting spring perches of sux bad unless you have a plasma cutter.

17. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I have a Van 14FF going under the 'Burban. Legally I can change axle that has +-4" difference in track widht. And when I compared 12-bolt and 14FF, they have about 6" difference in track. I looked through the 14-bolt bible at Pirate, but didn't find that how much track would change if I change the A type of hub to a B type? 4"?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  18. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Yep, 4" it is. Only problem is, where do I get some DRW or C&C hubs? Van axles are plenty in here, but all the others are rare :doah: