Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff gears, whats the higest you can get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Sep 21, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I did a search, and i looked on randy's ring and pinion, i should know this but is 5.13 the lowest? im planning on 40's with my 700r4 and mabye a atlas or ord dubbler opionions on what gears to get?
    thanks alot,
    dale

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes 5.13 is the lowest
    the highest is 3.42 or 3.73

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

cool thanks dose that sound good for the 700r4 and the dubbler or atlas? thanks alot for the help with the newbie questions

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

with 40s and 700r4 i would run 5.13s, if you drive on the road, in OD the motor will be running at 1810 rpms at 60. its a little low but you can't go any lower so...

also you will have one hell of a crawl ratio with either atlas or the doubler.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

5.13s and if you have a 241, a klune-v. Otherwise, I'd try an atlas because of the fact that it's much shorter than any doubler arrangement and offers you your choice of a number of ratios up to 5:1.

The main advantage the doubler has is that you'll have your 2:1 low still and 4:1 when you need it. I think that while a useful option, it depends on what kind of wheelin' you do, what you've got for gears in the axles, etc.

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The Overdrive in the 700 will be basically useless unless you are planning to run a large motor. By the time you factor in extra rolling resistance of the large tires and wind resistance of a lifted Chevy/Gm truck the overdrives are very hard to use. Run the 5:13s with the 700 just remember that use of the overdrive will be few and far between.
    As far as the doubler vs. the Atlas debate. I like the idea of the atlas, shorter, lighter, and several gear selections. What I don't like about the Atlas is the fact that in a fullsize application it may not hold up. Note: the MAY not, I know a few guys that are trying them and so far they are working.
    Now for the Doubler; The things that I like about it are the fact that you have multiple reduction ratios, it is stupid strong, rebuild parts are available in most junk yards. Disadvantages are that it is heavy and "long". The way that doubler adapter and the peices work the doubler is actually very near the same length as some of the factory stuff.
    The gear selections are the best thing about the doubler. I have 9 forward gears with the doubler and have used every one of them fourwheeling. Some times 4:1 is to low and the better gear is 2:1 or 2:1 with first gear isn't working so I try 4:1 with Second gear, because it's just a little different.
    Get the point. Try that with any single case.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

One more thing with a doubler and the WMS 3-1 kit in the 203 would give you more choises in reduction gears.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

thats kinda dumb that the 14ff is so popular anf they dont amke anything lower for it..... thanks alot for all the replies, i was thinking that od and 5.13's would work, but i guess not, the very last thing,( im going in order from axels up, tranny t-case will be next upgrade, than moter) will be a chevy preformance HT383, it will be built for about 400-500 hp or so so would that be enough moter?

9. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't really know? I just know that we have tried several times to get the ORD blazer geared correctly when it still drove to all of the trails. It always seemed like it wanted more rpm at highway cruise speeds. Every little hill that you came to it was down shifting. Not a bad thing but not what you really want. In the 1:1 gear it always seemed happy.

10. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the highest is 3.42 or 3.73

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat OT, I have 3.21's in my 76 C25 GMC. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya mine does that now with the 4.10's and 35's i really only want to go to 40's to regain the ground clearance i had with 35's and the 10 bolts, well i guess i will just go with it i still dont see why they dont make anything lower with as popular as this axel is Thanks miniwally
    for all your input!!,
    dale

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ya mine does that now with the 4.10's and 35's i really only want to go to 40's to regain the ground clearance i had with 35's and the 10 bolts, well i guess i will just go with it i still dont see why they dont make anything lower with as popular as this axel is Thanks miniwally
    for all your input!!,
    dale

[/ QUOTE ]

Shave your 14 bolt. It really does make a big difference.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya i had already planned on that, but still with the popularity of these axels i am really suprized that no lower gears are made.... Can they just not make them any lower because of the design of the axel/carrier?, no demand?

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not really any demand for it. The rep from precision told me that they'd have to sell 10,000 gearsets to make a new ratio.

700R4 won't hold up in a rig with 40s either, and without overdrive, 5.13s are plenty even for 44s, so the need for a lower ratio than 5.13 is very small.