Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF guys, PICS of mine, and my noob question of the day

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 30, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm going to take my open carrier out to have it welded in the next week or two. I know there are some kinda adjuster collers I need to mark.. can somebody mark them on paint in the same place I need to mark, because I'm having a hard time picturing what I'm supposed to mark. Also, which bolts am I supposed to count the turns of as I take them out? Anything that I need to mark woud be good to know, because I surely don't wanna mess up gear pattern in any way.. Feel free to photochop this pic to show me what I need to mark/ count turns of

[​IMG]

I'm wanting to shave the bottom lip, but if I shave much at all, won't it take out my bottom bolt hole? Then how does the cover seal, just use alot of RVT down there? I guess I would have to shave to cover as well...

[​IMG]

How are my RVT skills?

[​IMG]

2. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

also while you have the cover off you should put a drain and a fill plug in it...

exteremly usefull if you like mud.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Uh....He already has a fill plug.

4. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I meant into the cover itself... just for a more convenient spot to fill it.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Here ya go.

Remove the bolt in the center of the bearing cap that holds the locking retainer in place. Pull the retainer out. Mark the relation of the collar against the side of the housing. I just used a center punch and put dots next to each other. Then the collar clockwise as viewed from the carrier. This will thread it farther into the housing and loosen the load on the carrier. I went two complete turns on each side, just to make things easy. You can turn the adjusting collar by shoving a punch into the holes and prying down on it.

14ff.JPG

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That's a good explanation. For us newb's, how does it go back together?

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Here's a non attached version for those non members.

[​IMG]

And a better pic showing the adjusters with the carrier removed.
    [​IMG]

Some other pics that give a little insight as to how far I shaved it. It's completely smooth on the bottom, and I still have the bolt hole.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well once you put the carrier back in, just run the adjusters back in counter clockwise until you get them right back to where they used to be. That's why you mark the positions before you adjust them. Then just slap the bearing caps back on, install the retainer and bolt, and put the cover back on. Pretty easy. Took me less than an hour to remove and replace when doing my detroit install.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Oh and I know my pics are kinda far away, but if you click on them you can see the super huge versions that will give you the detail you need. And yes, there's a lot of metal dust created when you shave a 14 bolt. It's a dirty job.

10. 78Suburban

As always Paul, EXCELLENT explanation. Really sheds some light on what was kinda confusing with just words. Thanks for the help :bow:

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

No problem. You should give yourself some credit too, you make a lot of threads that are used as reference later for other people. There's several people who follow your progress and learn as you go, you ask a lot of good questions.

12. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

and in case you didnt know, make sure to break the ring gear bolts loose will its still in the housing. thats where I screwed up cause it took 2 people to hold down the diff and one to break them loose once we had it out. much easier to do when is still installed.

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I don't think he'll be taking the ring gear off the carrier.

14. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

if he's going to have the spiders welded up, you have to take the carrier apart and the ring gear comes off in the process.

15. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ah that's right, I was thinking of semifloater for some reason. I just used an impact and didn't have an issue.

16. 78Suburban

Finally!!

I've been so busy that I just now got around to pulling the carrier today.. Man, I was amazed at how easy that was!! nobody should be intimidated to pull the carrier on a 14ff!!!

As for seperating the carrier bolts, I don't have an impact, but I used a pull handle, held it between my legs, and hit the pull handle with a 3lb BFH.. worked awesome!! Now I just gotta bring it by Columbus Custom Exhaust and get it welded up :D

17. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

just be prepared for tire screeching and more funny looks when you drive it on the street. :D :whistle:

18. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well, that kind of IS an impact, just a more primitive version. :p: Good job though, you just took another big step toward not being a noob.:D

19. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Good job, I knew you could do it!!! I am gonna weld another one up this weekend for my 71 I'll try to take some pics of every step for future reference for ya'll! Make sure to count and WRITE DOWN then number of turns to loosen the collar for each side. A friends thought he could remember and then when he went back together apparently he forgot or got switched on sides. That R&P lasted about 2 weeks.

20. 78Suburban

I made marks and did 2 turns on both sides, just to keep it simple :D