Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff hub q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Mar 15, 2007.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

correct me if im wrong, but arent older (87 down) supposed to fit on newer 88 up axles? Ive got a newer axle, but wanted disc brakes, so i put older hubs on but they wont go on all the way. The bearings are on all the way, 100% sure. But It seems that the older hub is wider, because the spindle only sticks out about 1/2 inch once the hub is on.

Help please.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you have pop off drums then you need a diffrent kit for disk. brakes. check the spindle length. when thay went pop off style i know thay went shorter length as in shrunk it up a bit.

3. neverendingproject

The brake kit is not the problem, everything is fine on that. But like is stated above, there must be some difference in spidle length or hub width, or both. Also, I went to the parts store and checked on the different bearing p/n's and they are the same for the older axles and newer ones (87 vs 97) so I dont know. Im either going to have to find a new housing or do something else with the brakes. It seems like there is always something.

4. sweetk30

what style brakes did you have? pressed on drums with studs or pop off drums from the front.

when thay went pop off the front thay went shorter spindle. like my 96 crew cab.

then my 97 van axle still runs long spindle with press on drums.

go figure.

5. neverendingproject

Yeah, it was pop off, so the plan is to machine the inner bearing race, seal, and back surface where the seal sits flush down 3/4 of an inch. So I can take out the spacer in the brakes, and have my shorter hubs.

6. sweetk30

ya that was a pain when thay never made up there minds on what brakes to run. here is some pics of gm rotors on pop off hubs with disk kit shane74 and i proto typed and he now sells.

the reason is you need to move the caliper to the back side and space it back more than just the plate thickness. hope these pics help.

dont forget is stock wheels ever go back on the hubs . you will need 8 lug spacers to push out the rim to take up the first lip that the drum use to rid on. this will then let the rims center on there lip and not let the rims bend or lossen up on you.

14ff brakes 007.jpg

14ff brakes 009.jpg

14ff brakes 011.jpg

14ff brakes 013.jpg

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not sure but if you try maching the spindle back .750" to allow the hub/rotor to fit what are you going to do about the axles. The axles should then end up .750" at least too long.