Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF hub wobble **Updated**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Masher, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

I'm putting my 14 bolt back together with new discs, bearings and seals and when I put the hubs on and tighten them they do do not spin straight! I have the adjusting nut tightened to 50Ft. lbs. and even tried tightenning it a little more and still the same thing. I can actually take the hub and move it by hand a little too. I have not put the axle shafts in yet, will this tighten things up and make the hubs spin true?? Or do I have other problems?

Thanks.

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: 14FF hub wobble

Are you sure you got the correct bearing?

3. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

I'm almost positive. The races went in fine and the bearings seem to fit right. I was going to double check all of them tonight to be sure. Does anyone have Timken numbers so I can verify??

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I assume it spun straight before the new bearings/races went in?

Did ya make certain that the races were 100% seated?

Might also take a look at ther wheel studs- Did they get pressed all the way in?

Timken inner bearing- 387AS
    Inner race- 382A

The outer bearing and race come as a set- Timken #SET38

Pulled that info from the autozone website. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Not sure if they spun straight before, I never really looked. I got the axle at a boneyard and just tore it down and rebuilt it. The studs are in all the way and I think the races are as well, I drove them in with a brass puch till they stopped. I'lll have to recheck everything tonight. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

One of the bearing races seats against a large steel snap ring inside the hub. Did you put the snap ring back in? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Is the race seated properly against the snap ring? There won't be any slop at all once everything is assembled correctly.

7. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Alright I tore it back apart last night and the outer(small) bearing cage was bent!! Must have tightened it to much trying to straighten it out. The snap ring goes in the groove right?? When its in the groove I can reach in and still pull the small bearing that sits below it out?? Does the snap ring actually sit on the bearing itself?? I would think the ring goes in the groove. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks for any help.

8. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looking at the inside of the hub, the small bearing goes in(lareger diameter to the outside) first. Then the race is put in, then the snap ring. Turn the hub over and drive the race back to the snap ring. I used a large wood block to spread the load on the bearing to the race to drive it.

9. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Oops! I drove the race in first then set in the bearing, small side down, then put in the snap ring. So with the hub on the bench with the seal side up, the bearing goes in first then the race then the snap ring? Thanks for the info, It's been a while since I tore it down, that's what I get for waiting so long to put it back together.