Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff ID

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, May 2, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok confusion sets in. I am lookin at disk brake kits for my 14ff. It is out of an 88 suburban and from the yr designation it should not have [ QUOTE ]
    From azkickin "The drum is on the backside of the hub and the studs have to be pressed out to remove drums."

[/ QUOTE ] However, from another site I have found that the later models (86 on up) the drum should be removeable without pullin the axleshaft and hub but I dont see how it can be done. From teh pic below, do I need the kit for the earlier axle, or the later axle? Thanks guys. [​IMG]

2. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

That is the standerd drive the stud out variety of 14 ff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just did the swap on mine this weekend.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    From teh pic below, do I need the kit for the earlier axle, or the later axle? Thanks guys. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the early axle. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

When you get the kit installed, it will look similiar to this. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

sweet guys, thanks, this axle does have the ribbed center section like the later models, but its the earlier style outters.......odd....o well, the earlier style seems to be cheaper kits.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

o yeh one other thing, did either of you guys use the kits w/ teh ebrake, if so how did the install go, and whose kit did you use? So far I have found 3, Azkickin's, Offroad Unlimited, and TSM mfg. Just curious.

Also, for those of you using the caddy calipers, does anyone make the arms, springs, etc that will be needed to use the ebrake?

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    did either of you guys use the kits w/ teh ebrake,

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not opt for an e-brake for the time being. Right now, I have an auto tranny....but someday if I go manual I think I will get the e-brake system set up. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I did not use a kit for my rear dics....I pieced it together. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got an auto too, but, i like extra security, least if lose brakes for some reason, i got a prayer.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I haven't seen the pull-off drum on any 14FF until '92 - and even then, only in a heavy 2500 Burb or a 3500 SRW.

The drums on my '91 were also the conventional "back-mounted" style.