Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff Insides

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Jan 19, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Is there any way to tell what gears a 14ff has or if it has a Detroit, posi, etc., <font color="red"> WITH OUT </font> pulling the cover and visually looking?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

The guy I bought this from said he thinks they are 4.56s, but he doesn't know much else except that it used to be a diesel and now its a 454.

It's an 85 K30 if that helps.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as gear ratio goes there is a string of numbers stamped on the ring gear that have the ratio. Post up that number here and somebody can tell you what the gears are /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif See the big holes in this picture around the carrier. If it has a Detroit or Open carrier there are 4 holes if it is a gov-lock it has 3 holes. I hope this helps some
    [​IMG]

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

you can jack up the rear end of the truck, put tranny in neutral, then rotate one tire 1 full rotation, and count the rotations of the driveshaft for a rough idea of gears.
    if its an open carrier, double the number, and that should be your gear ratio... ie it will rotate just under 2 times *2 - 3.73's
    if locked, my understanding is that you can just count the # of rotations... so if driveshaft turns 4.5 times, you likely have 4.56 locked gears

only sure way to check is to pull the diff cover, but these are the "easier" ways

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Was it a military truck? If it was then I would bet it has 4.56's and a detroit. Only military trucks got detroits so if it's always been a civilian truck than it won't have a detroit in it factory. I wonder if civilian trucks with a diesel had a 4.56 option? That seems offly high ratio for a diesel outside of the military. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

4.56 was avaialble civilian i dont know why everyone is bent on believing its miltart ratio, look in the GM RPO code sheets book and you will see that 3.21 through 4.56 were available for normal k20 k30 trucks

if you get stamping code off pass side axle tube then you can call chevy parts counter and they will get you ratio info and if its G80 or not

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    4.56 was avaialble civilian i dont know why everyone is bent on believing its miltart ratio, look in the GM RPO code sheets book and you will see that 3.21 through 4.56 were available for normal k20 k30 trucks

[/ QUOTE ] No one is bent on a civilian truck having 4.56's. That is old news, everyone knows that 4.56's were an option...it's the detroit locker that we are "bent" on because that WASN'T a civilian option.

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If you are able to raise and turn one wheel then spin the twice while counting pinion rotation
    If you have to raise both wheels to get them to spin as in the case of a spooled diff then spin the tire once.
    While one wheel is off the ground you should be able to give the wheel a couple of good turns and if it has a detroit in it it will engage.
    You will have to get the wheel spinning pretty good to get the gov lock to engage.
    Be sure you have chocks and on a stand when ya do this.
    Or pop the cover and look at it.
    Gearlube is cheap and it prolly wouldn't be a bad idea to change it.