Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff inspection results...run these numbers,please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Jul 10, 2004.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

the stamping on the ring gear is...2 gm 3977334 10 41 1 76.14bff/d44 in '76 k20ring gear surface rusted from sitting 3-4yrs.no chipped,cracked,broken,or otherwise damaged teeth.i put it on the high-lift,both rear tires off the ground and could only turn the dr.side tire.thinking maybe other side is frozen from sitting.if so,how do i break it free.no battery,radiator so starting and driving it is'nt possible especially with bad trans.th350/203(with u/k part time kit(front d44 has superwinch lock-outs).i'm thinking i've got 4:10's /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifshould be installed in a couple weeks.<snip> what are the numbers?i looked for the stamp on the axel tube,also but couldn't find it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifthanks!!!

Edit by BadDog:
    Please put for-sale items in the for-sale forum.

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Since you've got the cover off just count the ring gear teeth and the pinion gear teeth and divide the two. 41 ring gear teeth / 10 pinion = 4.10 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

thanks!i've figured that part out.what are the other numbers?are they meaningless?

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4.11 gears manufactured in Jan 76

5. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    4.11 gears manufactured in Jan 76

[/ QUOTE ] ??? according to chuck's chevy pages,4:10's and 4:56's were the only ratios offered in '73-'80 k20's w/ i-6,v-8.41/10=4.10(on my calculator)where do you get 4:11's? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    the stamping on the ring gear is...2 gm 3977334 10 41 1 76.14bff/d44 in '76 k20ring gear surface rusted from sitting 3-4yrs.no chipped,cracked,broken,or otherwise damaged teeth.i put it on the high-lift,both rear tires off the ground and could only turn the dr.side tire.thinking maybe other side is frozen from sitting.if so,how do i break it free.no battery,radiator so starting and driving it is'nt possible especially with bad trans.th350/203(with u/k part time kit(front d44 has superwinch lock-outs).i'm thinking i've got 4:10's /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifshould be installed in a couple weeks.i'm not interested in keeping the trans./t-case if anyone locally would be interested.u-pull-it=cheap or trade.what are the numbers?i looked for the stamp on the axel tube,also but couldn't find it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifthanks!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

10 41 is the ratio, 10 is pinion teeth and 41 is ring gear teeth so they are 4.10's. 1 76 is the build date...January 1976.

Nice for sale ad at the end of your post. That is against the site rules unless you're a paying member here. Even then there is a specific forum for parts wanted/sale.

Rene

7. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nice for sale ad at the end of your post. That is against the site rules unless you're a paying member here. Even then there is a specific forum for parts wanted/sale.

[/ QUOTE ]uh,sorry to offend,bro.it's technically not for sale.alot of you guy's might want to use it for a doubler.just trying to help someone out.again,(technically)NOT FOR SALE.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I missed the words "FREE" in the ad

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    .i'm not interested in keeping the trans./t-case if anyone locally would be interested.u-pull-it=cheap or trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a for sale ad, nothing to get offended about, but it is against the site rules. Pretty simple stuff...

Trust me, you're not the first one trying to slip one under the radar here. This post will likely be gone soon enough.

Rene

10. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

LET IT BE GONE.THANKS FOR THE INFO!