Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF installed (long)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lowlevel2, May 6, 2000.

1. lowlevel2

lowlevel2 Registered Member

First thing,I STRONGLY recommend this swap to everyone.
    Originally i was going to fix my 10 bolt (untill reallity set in).Then i was going to put a 12 bolt in but,i couldnt find any close to columbus ohio....So i got a 14ff and dana 44 4.10 ratio.
    Everything matched up.I didnt even had to cut my driveshaft,in fact it was about a 1\4 inch too short,go figure.
    A couple things though,i had to go to a driveshaft shop for the universal,$32.00 installed.Because the auto parts stores couldnt figure it out.I bought a shyjacker u-bolt kit $60.00.The trailmaster u-bolt kit was the wrong size,DO NOT buy the trailmaster kit! Also the spring plates were a mother to find.The dealer called for 5 different types that fit the 14ff.Make sure you get the spring plates if you do this swap.It will save one hell of a head ache.

Now all i gotta do is put the dana 44 in :)So i can 4x4 again.My truck looks odd with 31x10x15 fronts an 31x10x16.5 rears,oh well.
    If any of you have any questions about this swap please e-mail me at lowlevel2@ee.net
    These axles wereout of a 78 3\4 ton truck, and are now in my 89 1\2 sub (at least one is for now)
    Thanks for all the info on this site fellas..Dan

BTW:I did this swap completely by myself in a garage the exact same size as my sub.Sorry for any typing errors im drinking heavily rightnow to celebrate

89 SUB
    75 CHEVELLE
    76 CUTLASS

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

How much was the total cost, and did you do anything special to them like rebuilding or painting?

Money-->Blazer

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Did you have to do anything to the brakes? New master cylinder or anything?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

5. lowlevel2

lowlevel2 Registered Member

Yes i hand sanded and painted the axle.The brakes were dust when i got the axles.I put complete new brakes (11")and bent my own lines.My uncle works on Mack trucks and had the tools to press my racers and bearings in,he also got those big a$$ drums turned for $20.00 for both :)
    I paid $550 for the axles, $ 150 for the ticket i got coming home :( The axles came with stock rims 16.5x? So i sanded and painted them.
    $300 for the 2 BFG AT\KO's. 31.10x16.5 AT's are an odd size tire i found out.I also STRONGLY recommend these tires,Very quiet, very nice sidewall,and aggessive tread.
    Plus $100-150 for brake hardware.Plus all the prices i listed in the previous post.It WASNT cheap.And i still have to install the dana 44.But its gonna wait till later in the year.....
    I am in debt to alot of people because of this :)Thats why i installed it myself.
    HEHE, any other questions??? :)
    Dan

89 SUB
    75 CHEVELLE
    76 CUTLASS