Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff Locker options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Aug 27, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Outside of welded, detroit, or gov lock what else is available for a 14ff. We are going to be starting to get ready to do Donna's 90 soon and looking at running a gov lock. I think the 14ff gov locks are alot stronger then a 10 bolt one but just looking for other options.

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

i heard (?) Ox was makin one cable actuated now....?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> From what I understand the problem with the Gov-lock is that it's unpredictable. One wheel will start spinning then BANG, all of a sudden the thing locks up. I think a Detroit or a L/S, if one is made, would be the best bet. I think ARB is coming out with a unit for the FF 14b soon also, that's the best of both worlds, but kinda pricey. If you really want a gov lock I'm pulling one out of the 14 bolt I'm building, if you want it you can have it for super cheap, but it'll be a few weeks before it comes out.

Haven't heard about he Ox for the 14b yet, but I checked the pricing on the one for the D60 and Drivetrain Direct quoted me $1500. No thanks, way too rich for my blood. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif </font color>

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i think you are stuck with
    Detroit
    Miller
    Lincoln
    Hobart
    ESAB

as your best options

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Been using a loc-rite and have yet to grenade it (and trust me, I have tried /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif ).

I'm not going to say it's the best locker or the strongest locker, etc., etc., but I have had no complaints with mine compared to my buddies with a Detroit.

A "lincoln" locker or a spool is more predictable, and the lincoln is real cheap, so you may want to look into that route. If I were to do it again, I would have saved my money and just welded it. Ask Rene, he has done the welded diff and seems to like it. If you do it right, you don't even have to touch the carrier, and you can always put the spiders back in (I have a set if you ever need them /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ).

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

im a big fan of the detroit...well worth the money...

youve seen my truck in action and im not too easy on the go pedal at times and ive never had a moments trouble with it

Later

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The Detroit is out for this. Welded is out too. This is a daily driver-tow vehicle. I don't want to have Donna driving one everyday with a locker.

8. bUrLyBlAzEr89

bUrLyBlAzEr89 Registered Member

detriot tru-trac works good i drive daily and havent had any probs w/ it no noise no hassels just stomp on it and drive

9. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 14FF Gov-lok has not broken. Just got back from Moab and it stood up to keeping both tires spinning on rock, over and over again. Repeated situations of the axles hopping, getting the truck up rock ledges.