Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coopertwpk, Feb 11, 2001.

1. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I have a 14FF that im installing in the blazer it has a locking device(shipped to alaska stock with it)what is in this?Eaton never made a 14bolt govlok?

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You just answered your own question. Yes, its an Eaton Gov-Lock. I have one in my 85 K30. Make sure if you change the fluid that you put in "posi additive". This will make sure the clutches work properly, if you dont, they will burn out faster on regular oil.

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

If memory serves me correctly, just remember that the 14 bolts that came with the Eaton factory lockers cannot be switched to a Detroit Locker down the road. I remember when I was shopping for mine, everyone kept telling me to get the open version or else I couldn't put a Detroit in it. Don't know how the Eaton stacks up to a detroit, might want to check that out before you swap it on in there...if I am wrong, maybe someone will clear it all up??

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have the Eaton posi in my 14 bolt. It's doesnt have as much traction as a Detroit does, but it's also transparent.The other day I put one tire on ice and the other on pavement. I tried to spin the one tire but the Swampers barked a little and it didnt slip. It's not imposible to convert an Eaton 14 to Detroit. You just need an open carrier. I have a Detroit and a carrier sitting in my basement waiting until I can get my truck on a shop lift. </font color=blue>

[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>pavement queen with shinny paint job and car tires</font color=blue>