Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff locker?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldbandit, Feb 25, 2001.

1. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

Does anyone make a locker for a 14ff? My Jimmy will be a daily driver(eventually! maybe?) and i don't won't my in town driving affected. What about an ARB locker? I believe i have heard someone on here say that no one made a locker for a 14ff but i'm not sure.

thanks
    baldbandit

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

ARB does not make one for the 14ff. You can get a Detroit that will work fine for dailey use.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

3. baldbandit

What should I use for the front d44? again that would not affect on-road driving!

thanks
    baldbandit

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

An ARB would be the best setup for the front, although not the cheapest

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Keep in mind Powertrax has come out with the new Lock Right for the 14FF to fit in place of the Gov-Lock. They also have the regular LR to fit an open carrier 14FF, too. For those who dont know the difference in the FF rear carriers, they come in a 3 pin spider and 4 pin spider gears. The 4 pin works for the Detroit Locker and the 3 pin has the Gov-Lock.

6. baldbandit

K30guy, when you say "the 3 pin has the Gov-Lock" do you mean that if my rearend has a 3 pin spider that it already has the gov-lock or that i will have to use the gov-lock? What other options for a front locker do i have other than an ARB? I know it would be the best option, but it is expensive! Is there another option without sacrificing steetability?

thanks
    baldbandit

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would save my pennies and go for the ARB for the 44. It is expensive but it forces you to run a compresser which is great to air up the tires when you are ready to head for home from the trails.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The 3 pin is ONLY the Gov-Lock. Its from the factory this way. It cannot be run "open". Thats what the 4 pin spider is, an open dif.
    As for the fronts, the list is very long.
    1. Detroit Locker
    2. ARB
    3. Trac-Lok
    4. Power-Lok
    5. Lock Right
    6. Auburn Limited Slip
    7. Moroso Super Brute
    8. Detroit EZ Locker
    9. Detroit Gearless Locker
    10. Detroit Truetrac
    There are probably a few others that I cant name off hand right now.
    IN MY OPINION, if I were to have some traction adding device in the front axle, I would use the Power-Lok. Its a 4 pin spider gear and uses clutches. The Trac-Lok is a 2 pin. These are little cheaper than the Power-Lok. Both allow for steering capabilities. But for the ultimate, you cant go wrong with the ARB since you can engage it and disengage it. BUT, when it is engaged, its the same as a FULL LOCKER, which means you wont be able to steer very good or at all. I have heard many praises and positive news about the Detroit Truetrac being used on the fronts. They are all GEAR, no clutches, no b.s. to deal with. All those that use clutches, you will have to pour in posi-lube to keep them working correctly and to keep the warranty intact on them. If you dont use this lube, the clutches dont work. With the Detroit Truetrac, you just pour in straight 80-90 gear oil and youre done.

9. baldbandit

Thanks, that answer my questions pretty good! I will probably save up for a ARB, but wanted to know my other options!

baldbandit