Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF no oil?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Feb 3, 2003.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Blew up my 14FF this weekend out playing. Put a nice hole and dent into the cover and something spit out. I drove it about 6 mile salready back to town with no oil (like 5 mpg with the front helping pull too) My shop is 5 more miles out of town. Do you suppose it is gonna hurt anything (bearing, etc) driving it slow for that distance? It is welded per the article on this site about wleding the valleys but I think I am gonna weld it solid or put a detroit in it now but gotta get to my shop to tear it apart. Anone got a spare 14FF cover???? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thanks.

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I believe it would hurt it.
    Could you just put some oil in it and use some JB Weld the quick setup stuff to patch the hole?

Eric

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Gears will get ruined within minutes of driving without gear oil to lube them and keep them cool, doesn't matter how slow you go there is still going to be metal to metal contact which builds heat in a hurry.

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Clean the cover,Patch hole with duct tape,add lube,tape should hold to shop.I'd pull cover to be sure no stray parts loose to get in gears and put tape on both sides. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

it will hurt it.
    by the way , i found out the hard way of course that
    i peice of aluminum foil with some jb weld will work
    patching a hole in the diff cover and get you all the way home and even farther without leaking. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif