Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF (or pieces) needed

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by dyeager535, Apr 12, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dads trying to install disks/change to limited slip in his 14FF, and would like to have a mostly bare housing to build up, thus making the changeover when the time comes, quick and easy, just swapping axles.

Anyways, he just bought a 14FF housing, but it's missing the "hubs" (spindles?), spring perches and shock mounts. It's probably more pain than its worth to swap these on, but I figure if someone has a 14FF thats for some reason garbage, maybe they'd have these parts laying around.

I'm sure he can find a whole, complete axle assembly around, but figured maybe I could help someone clean out their garage /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Location is WA state, shipping a complete axle not necessary or worth it, since they are fairly common, albeit complete, here.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Spring perches and shock mounts can be fabbed fairly easily. Get some 2.5" square tubing and cut them about 5 or 6 inches long and notch out a radius in them to seat them on the tubes. There is an article about this by Depdog I believe.
    Shock mounts can be made from any type of steel if you have stuff laying around. Just need to drill a hole for the bolts and figure how far you want it to stick out and how high to sit on the tubes.

As far as the bearing hubs go, I don't have any spares to help you here. I do know where there is a complete 14FF laying not far from me that I will go see if I can rob parts from it. If I can, I will let you know. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Appreciate it.

Dad's big into "my times worth money" so he didn't think much of my idea to make that stuff and weld it on. Heck, I've got a garbage 12 bolt in my garage with that stuff on it that I bet he could either modify or use as a pattern, but I digress.

Please do let me know if you can rob parts off of it!

BTW, one further thing, he needs the knob for the "early" style 8 lug front spicer hubs. ('74 and earlier I believe) His broke, and they can be purchased new, but local dealers (not GM for this piece) are not helping.