Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff out of dually, Will it work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Danny Joe, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Danny Joe

Danny Joe 1/2 ton status

I know this might sound dumb to some of you but the only reason I am asking is because I don't know. Okay so here it is. Will a 14FF out of late 70's dually work on my 77 K-5. Info sure wouls help. Thanks, Danny Joe. :doah:

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You're gonna have to move the spring perches and shock mounts but otherwise yes. IIRC a dually axle will make your front and rear equal widths WMS to WMS instead of the usual 3" narrower in the rear.

3. Danny Joe

Danny Joe 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply, it helped.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

all the brake parts are diffrent to the dully. so if you get a disk kit for std axle it wont work. do some searching on 14ff axles and see the big diffrences. but yes it can fit yours .

5. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

No

Measure the wms to wms, and make sure it is a 14 bolt...

A dually 14 bolt is significantly NARROWER because it would be out of a cab and chassis truck. The outer dual (with all the wheel's offset) is in the same place as a standard wheel on a srw 14 bolt...

A dually Dana 70 is the wider one.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ooops, 70's came in the duallies back then didn't they? Sorry about that, totally disregarded the year.

7. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

This would require some serious thought: If it is indeed a 14FF, I don't think you will be able to move the spring perches outward the 1/2" required for a K5 without going disc brakes. I have had to bleed the rear brakes on a 14FF dually, and it is a bitch to get on the bleeder screw(tight fit next to the spring pack). While discs on a dually rear are feasable, it is quite a bit more expensive. Measure, measure , and measure again just to be sure.
    Jimbo

8. Danny Joe

Danny Joe 1/2 ton status

Thanks

I want to thank everybody for the replys. Answered alot of my questions. Thanks, again.

9. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

A dually 14bff will work if you change the drw hubs to srw then you have a srw axle.
    The only draw back is that there are no bolt on disk brake kits for srw this way. you have to weld the disk brake brackets to the tube as the flange is too far back.

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'd like to see somebody try and move the spring perches out 1" per side on a C&C axle to make it fit the K5 spring spacing. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

(Okay.... you could do it if you put on discs or did something else with the brakes ;) )