Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF pinion thread size Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Nov 6, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I need to know the thread size of a 14FF pinion. Who ever took the pinion out before me apparently just beat on the end of the pinion with a hammer and now I cannot get the pinion nut to start more than about 1 thread. Is there a die that I can use to clean the threads up? I tried using a thread file and after 3 hours still could not get the nut started.

Thanks

Ira

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I did the same thing to a 10B pinion. I did it on purpose though, as i was getting pissed at all the kids and wifes running around not leaving me alone.
    I tried the thread file for an hour too but it did nothing. Finally i broke down and broungt it to the MR "A" school and had the MR1 do his thing.
    I know the 10B was 7/8 x 14.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have South West Regional Maintenance Center on the first floor of my building I could take it to the MRs there and see if they could hook it up. I was talking with Roz and he suggested one of the machine shops out here maybe they would fix it for a small fee or for free.

Thanks

Ira

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not that it will do you any good but, at work i have a split die nut that is actually about 6 different sizes in one tool for rethreading spindle threads and you simply open the tool up and then close it around the spindle near the back side of the threads then thread it off over the boggered threads and now you have a good set of threads. I have used it on pinion shaft threads before but can't remember which pinion or the size.